Betta Fish Forum banner

Newbie, a couple of questions, brand new tank, water etc, but betta isn't eating

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all

I have done a lot of FAQ reading but can't really pinpoint my problem (or if I have one) so please bear with me as I post this.

I bought a Betta the other day. I'm an avid lover of animals great and small so I made sure I got all the stuff he needed. I have an 18L tank, an air pump, a plant, white rocks, water treatment pellet things, and some toys (a Japanese style gate and a water wheel). And a heater. And a thermometer.

I washed the rocks thoroughly before putting them in, put the other stuff in, filled up the tank, set up the heater and pump, waited till it was at least a decent temperature, dropped in the lil white pellet water treatment thing, then put the fish in.

When he went in the water was still cold but I wanted him out of the bag so I put him in. He just kinda sat there a bit but found his way over to the heater and hung out there. After the water reached 26*C (where it is now) he was swimming around and seemed quite happy to not be in a plastic cup anymore.

He's still active, he swims around, comes to the glass if I'm there (as long as I don't get too close), if I scare him he swims fast! He seems healthy, no parasites or pop-eye or any stuff listed on Betta sites.

**BUT** the pellets I'm giving him from the pet store that they recommended, he seems to be eating them, chewing a bit but then spitting them out. He doesn't have a large belly, so he's not over-eating as far as I can tell. This is day 2 and it's a relatively huge tank so I can't imagine the waters bad already, and he isn't exhibiting any lethargy or malaise. He doesn't exactly run circles around the tank mind you he kinda floats around from spot to spot checking stuff out but he certainly doesn't seem under the weather. He isn't running into stuff or scratching himself against things.

Today I will buy new food and see if he likes that more.

The food I bought was what they recommended and (ha ha) says 'high quality on it and whatever. It was more expensive than what I had in my hand when the discussion came to food.

If the waters fresh, he seems healthy, and basically I'm starting from scratch and have a clean slate here, what could be the non-eating issue?

Sorry for the long newbie post but I just want to get it right from day 1. (Day 2 now).:|

Thanks very much for reading

-Joe

Edit: and here are some photos
(crappy cellphone quality sorry)

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow thanks for the fast reply.

So if he's still not eating by week's end I will try some different food.

I've read that changing the water a little, frequently, is better than doing it all at once infrequently, so at that time I'l alsol change around 30-50% of the water.

How often should I dump everything and clean the rocks etc?

Is once a month okay for that?

#7 ·
Ok will do, thanks.

I think I have to buy a net, or can I just scoop him up in a clean pot or glass? I have a feeling I won't be able to get near him.

Also, we have electronically controlled water temp here, is it ok to put 26*C (your 80*F or so) water into the tank straight away and put him in? Or does the water need to sit a while once out of the tap? I suspect it should sit a while, I read that the chlorine must dissipate.

I guess he'll be okay in a cup or whatever for a few hours while the water gets up to temp and the treatment pellet melts?

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum! It seems like DQ has got everything covered, pretty much. Water should either be treated with conditioner, or be left standing for 24 hours before the fish is put in, to allow any harmful chemicals to escape. Also, before putting a betta in any tank, let them get used to the water for about half an hour to one hour before being put in. That should make the shock of temp. change less, and help them adjust better to their new home.
And he should be good for a couple more hours in his cup, as he's already been there for quite a long time, I'd suspect :)
Good luck with your addition, and feel free to ask any questions. We'll answer them if we can!

#9 ·
Yes, you can scoop him up with a clean glass. I use a net for mine. They are tropical fish and need temperatures of 76 to 82 degrees. I always try to warm up the water a bit before putting it in the tank. It doesn't really need to sit but I let mine sit for awhile to reach room temperature. You need to add a water conditioner to take the chlorine and chloramine out of the water. He'll be ok in a cup for awhile, while you do your water change.

#10 ·
Ok thanks, I'll put him in the cup, clean out the tank, add the water, add the conditioning stuff (it's pellets here), and after it's ready to go I need to acclimatize him so does that mean putting him in yet another cup full of the new water? Then finally dumping him and the new water into the tank? I'm not quite following why I don't put him in the fresh water straight from the cup, provided it's been treated and is at temp. Because it'd be the same water. Thanks for all your help (^^)b

#11 ·
acclimating him means to float him in his cup in the clean tank for awhile, then releasing him into the tank.

#12 ·
Update:

He's eating!
Today he showed some interested when I was shaking the food bottle around and didn't swim away when I lifted the lid, so I put in some pellets and he was eating them up. One thing I noticed, he doesn't like water logged pellets, he likes fresh crunchy ones. So I will feed him once or twice a day and do it only when he seems hungry rather than when he's not looking or doesn't care, so that he doesn't suddenly get hungry and find nothing but water-logged pellets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.