Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #1 
LouiMon

Any downsides to a partial NPT?

I love the idea of an NPT, but I like light coloured substrate like sand, and the look of the soil and sand just doesn't do it for me.

I was wondering if I could make planters with pop bottles or something and just bury them where I'll be putting plants.

That way it'd just look like sand.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

put sand around the perimeter of the tank and the soil inside of that,then cap it.you will not be able to see the dirt,only the sand.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #3 
peachii

I have done this in several tanks and didn't do this with my most recent 40 gallon I put together and am regretting it horribly. Our 46 gallon, 29 gallon and 10 gallons we put the cloth craft cloth (like what people use for dividers) on top of the dirt and then put the substrate cap we were using on top of it. It made moving plants much less dirty for the first 6 to 8 months. After the dirt was well settled with gunk during a re-scape about 8 months after starting the tanks, I just very carefully pulled the craft cloth out, then vacuumed the substrate, re-scaped and never really had to worry about the dirt that way.

My 40b new tank has just been a messy nightmare so far, several time weekly water changes and there is still dirt getting kicked up and settling on my plants. It will get better but I won't start a new big tank again with craft cloth down the hold the dirt in place for the first few months of new tank syndrome.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 AM   #4 
LouiMon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
put sand around the perimeter of the tank and the soil inside of that,then cap it.you will not be able to see the dirt,only the sand.
Would the sand stay in place? I imagine it would be near impossible to fix without completely redoing the whole tank.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote