Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #1 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

Betta Tankmates - Choosing Roomies For Your Betta Splendens

Betta tankmates have to be chosen as carefully as a person chooses a roommate. Pick the wrong betta mates, and your fish will suffer. Choose the wrong roommate for yourself and you may suffer. You get the idea. Let's take a look at some betta tankmates that will allow your fish to live a long, happy and healthy life with good neighborly interaction.

The right betta mates need to understand that he is living with a fish that can be surly, and even downright nasty at times. The perfect partner will allow his finny friend room to be himself, and shouldn't clash lest there be dire consequences.

1 - Apple Snails
Apple snails are a great addition to a betta tank. These snails are small at birth, but can reach a size of 4 - 6 inches when adult, and add a peaceful nature to your betta. Bettas typically ignore them.

2 - Cory Catfish
Cory Catfish are the most common catfish kept in aquariums. Since they prefer the bottom of the tank, they typically do not run afoul of the middle to top-dwelling betta fish. They are hardy and very easy to breed and care for.

3 - Dwarf Frog
Betta tankmates need to be non-similar to the betta. Bettas attack other fish that resemble themselves. That is why a dwarf frog or two make such a diverse friend for your betta and a wonderful visual addition to your tank.

4 - Neon Tetras
Neon tetras are small (one inch max.), inexpensive fish that add motion and vibrant color to any tank. They respond extremely well with any betta fish.

Remember that every betta fish has a distinctive personality. What works for one betta may not work for the next one.

And when your betta mates, all bets are off, and a previous friend can become a foe in your fighting fish's eyes. Don't forgot that you should never keep more than one inch of fish per gallon of aquarium. If you follow these rules, you should be able to place some great betta tankmates with your beautiful betta splendens that will provide you with a full, visual experience.

Elizabeth Christopher
p.S.

Do you guys have any other suggestions that have worked for you?
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #2 
aknight

Maybe add that cory's and neons are sholing (sp) fish and like to be in groups of at least 4-6.
aknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Ghost shrimp, assuming your bettas don't eat them! My girls tried to give them a few nips when I introduced them, but they were too quick. Now my girls ignore them. They're very cute little guys with a lot of character.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #4 
bettamama

One of my ADF's chomped a big hole in my betta's tail and wouldn't let go. It was traumatizing.
bettamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #5 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Ghost shrimp, assuming your bettas don't eat them! My girls tried to give them a few nips when I introduced them, but they were too quick. Now my girls ignore them. They're very cute little guys with a lot of character.
Ghost shrimp are cool little fellas.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #6 
doggyhog

Cool post!! though, bettas can and WILL eat neons. :(
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #7 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

I have never had that experience, DG. But thanks for adding it to the post. It may save someone some trauma
Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Awesome post! =] I think I'd really like neon tetras!
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #9 
FuulieQ

I might get some tetras, but probably not for my betta. He just made his first bubblenest (and it's BIG o_O)!! I'm taking that as a 'thanks for the new plants', so I think I should leave off putting anything else in with him if he's already happy. :3
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #10 
bubbaface

Chinese Algae Eaters. Reading around they can be hit or miss towards aggression. I have two in a ten gallon and they keep it near spotless. The older and bigger of the two only pulls rank on the smaller one when I'm doing something in the tank and they are freaking out. They both leave the Betta alone and occasionally while hanging on the side of the tank the Betta will investigate them but its nothing more then a nudge. The are almost as fun as my Betta because they people watch.
bubbaface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish, betta mates, betta tankmates