Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #11 
MissMeg

I think it would be helpful to put how many of each companion could be put in a tank with a Betta(like, 1 betta, and 3 ___ or 2 ___ or 5 ___ in a 10gal)

LOL, thats the whole reason I came over here, how many tetras would go good in a 10 gal with a male betta. I'm going to put in fake plants and rock caves too...

ETA - would GloFish be a possiblity too? If so, how many?

Last edited by MissMeg; 01-20-2010 at 07:47 PM.
MissMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

I also want to add that Bettas don't want tank mates and you have to be willing to deal with any sort of over stressed behavior that comes from adding a tank mate. YOUR BETTA DOES NOT NEED FRIENDS!!! While they may tolerate other animals in the tank they don't actually enjoy it.

Also bettas are EXTREMELY territorial.. if your going to add another fish you better have AT LEAST a 10 gallon tank. Just because you have a 6 gallon tank and your betta only "technically" needs 2.5 gallons does not mean there is enough physical space in your tank for your betta to have his territory and not be overstressed by the other fish.

I don't like putting any fish in with bettas. IMO snails and shrimp are really only the acceptable tank mates for bettas.

Also.. if your going to get another animal research ITS requirements (i.e. mystery snails need at least 2.5 gallons to themselves so its not good to put them in a 3 gallon with your betta). There is no such thing as a "tank cleaner".. every body poops.

@ miss meg.. I wouldn't add more than 3 tetras in a 10 gallon with a betta and even thats pushing it... tetras can also nip your bettas fins and your betta may kill the tetras.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #13 
MissMeg

OK, thank you 1fish2fish!
MissMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #14 
veganchick

Some people find zebra danios too active for bettas, but I think that they go really well together in a 15g or larger tank
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #15 
truthequalslies

what about bumblebee gobies?
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

1fish, I don't like putting other fish with bettas, either. I think it stresses out the betta too much. They are solitary fish and I feel they are better off alone. Also, if a fish dies, the betta will eat off of it. Eeeuuuw! And if the betta dies, the other fish will eat off of it. Double eeeuuuwww!!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #17 
vaygirl

I can only speak from personal experience but Tango loves his cory friends. They're a constant source of interest for him. He hunts with them, he swims with them, he follows them around to see what they're checking out. He doesn't flare or nip at them. I've noticed that my other two betta 'pace' a lot and I never see Tango doing that. He has too much to watch and interact with in his tank. Of course, his tank is MUCH larger too.

You do have to make sure that you have an alternative in place if your betta doesn't enjoy tankmates. It's only fair to the newcomers and your betta. It doesn't always work out the way we'd like it to. And I'd never put a tank mate in anything smaller then a 10 gallon.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #18 
1fish2fish

Vaygirl.. I agree with you.. In tanks 10 gallons and up bettas will probably do fine with other fish but you definitely have to have another tank on hand if/when your betta decides he doesn't want tankmates LOL
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #19 
Hadouken441

I have 5 Neons, a frog, and a small female betta in my 10 gallon and they get along perfectly. My favorite is when my betta looks at my frog (non flaring) then tilts her head like huh? then swims away haha its super cute.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #20 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken441 View Post
My favorite is when my betta looks at my frog then tilts her head like huh? then swims away haha its super cute.

LOL! Yep, bettas are funny.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish, betta mates, betta tankmates