Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #1 
Kitch3ntools

should i?

so i got 4 females and started a sorority. Heidi was just too aggressive and was harassing my other ladys, so b4 it escalated into fin biting (it was just constant chasing) i separated her. so i now have 3 females in a very planted 10g tank with some nice caves. should i get another girl so that it keeps the peace? the 3 girls are all doing great for now. id love more than just 1 more :) im just afraid there wont be enough space for them
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #2 
DragonFish

How long did you have all the girls in there for? They will chase one another and nip some fins while they establish a pecking order, usually for the first couple weeks I think, its totally normal. I'd rearrange the tank, add all four girls back in, and leave them be for a bit. Separate them only if you notice some real serious aggression and/or one or more girls looks extremely stressed out(hiding constantly, refusing to come up for food, has tattered fins...). Don't panic too much about stress stripes either, I have one who who shows them constantly and shes easily the biggest and baddest fish in the sorority.....shes just weird like that xD

You could still add another girl too if you wanted, bringing the total up to five. Perfect amount for a 10 gallon, and I personally think its better then just four girls. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #3 
Kitch3ntools

its been almost a week. ill take Heidi out of "fish jail" as my fiancee calls it and back in with the rest of my girls tomorrow morning so i can keep an eye on them. thank you so much!! i was being an over protective mom lol. oddly enough my largest girl(Mrs.F) is the one getting picked on by Heidi who is the smallest :p they are too funny!

one more q
i have a plastic cut up bottle over my filter so i dont swish away my girls but they all keep going over to the spots the water trickles in and try to go against the current...r they just doing it to do it, or is there a reason for it? lol i think its cute but didnt know if it was a bad thing or not :)
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Haha, no prob! :) Yup, they should calm down after a bit, just keep a close eye on them ;) lol, girls are lots of fun.

Haha, seems they like the current xD Nah, thats nothing to worry about, they're just playing. Some bettas like the currents and some don't ;)
Old 01-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'd give Heidi a "time out" for a day or two, then reintroduce her to the tank. For good advice on sororities, contact ChristinaRoss. She has a sorority and can answer any questions you might have.
Good advice, dragonFish! I didn't mean to sound like Christina was the only one who had a sorority and who could give advice about them.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-21-2010 at 11:02 PM.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #6 
DragonFish

lol! xD Haha, no big, Christina has a lot more experience then I do with Sororities, shes probably the best to contact with questions about them. I'm just relaying what I've read and my experiences so far ;)
Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #7 
Kitch3ntools

:D Thanks DQ & DragonFish! i feel much better now :)

Heidi is now out of "jail" and chasing Mrs.F. the other 2 girls are hanging out together by one of our plants :)

ill be heading to petco later today so they may soon have a new tank mate :)
Old 01-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #8 
Kitch3ntools

so i got another girl :D i couldnt resist! shes iridescent with a bit of purple on her caudal fin and on her left side she has a dark colored stripe (it could be black or blue) she has seemed to calm Heidi down alot :) i also got a new boy too! hes black fading to a dark red on his anal and caudal fins :)

he is a CT and my new girl is a VT they do not have names yet and my camera batteries died so once i get new bats pix will be up :D
Old 01-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Oooo, how exciting!! :D Great to know everything is going well, can't wait to see pics!! :)
Old 01-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #10 
Kitch3ntools

stole my fiancee's camera batteries lol

Name:  Mr.F.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  25.0 KB

Mr.F :D my fiancee named him he thought it would be cute because Mrs.F is a black & red CT aswell

Name:  Luci.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  16.0 KB

Luci showing off her stripe :D her tail is lighter than in the pic