Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #1 
Eolith

Unhappy Should I end his misery?

I left my fish for the weekend. I was gone for about 2 1/2 days, which I've done before with no problem. I made sure that all tanks had nice fresh water, the fish were fed, etc etc

When I came back however... it was a house of horrors. Mo's fins look as though they are absolutely disintegrating away, and he's covered in what is clearly ich. I thought he was dead, but he's still barely alive. I couldn't get him to eat, though I've put meds in his tank. I don't know what to do. Is it even humane to try to do anything for him any more?

As if that weren't enough, one of my corys in a separate 10g tank was dead when I got here... with absolutely no explanation for what happened. I don't know what to do for that tank. I looked at the water params and they seemed normal. None of the other fish seem to be ailing.

The only tank without a death or sickness is Jack's. >_< Am I a fish killer? I feel terrible.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #2 
Jupiter

You should do what you think is best. A lot of people don't agree with euthenasia, but I think if he's suffering and you know nothing can be done, it's kinder. Sorry about your fish.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #3 
SummerOj

You arent a fish killer! These things happen. I dont know a lot about fish illnesses, but if theres nothing you can do...You have to do whats best for your fish.
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sometimes things happen even when we give them the best of care. I'm so sorry about Mo. Like the others said, do whatever you think is best for him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #5 
Eolith

Thanks for your support everyone. I think I'm going to see whether he makes it through the night and go from there.

It's hard not to be disappointed in myself, even if I shouldn't be. I've tried so hard to have everything be perfect for him, but it doesn't seem like it was enough.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #6 
FuulieQ

I'm sure you've taken great care of him. Sometimes things just happen, or it may be something he's just predisposed to.

I hope the best for your fishy. <3
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know you feel bad but rest assured that you did everything you could for him and you gave him a good home and lots of love!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #8 
nochoramet

Sometimes it's nothing you did, and not your fault. I'm sorry to hear about your fishies... I hope everything works out for the best for you.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #9 
MollyJean

Try to get him back in shape. He can go a few days without food if he's not eating, so treat him and keep him clean and happy and we'll all cross our fingers. Sometimes things happen, it's not your fault, just try to make him better.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #10 
Eolith

I'm certainly trying my very hardest. He's in a little 1g hospital container with some blue ich meds and aquarium salt. The water is as clean as could be. I'll change it out with fresh water/meds later today... if he's still with us.

He was still alive this morning, but the only way that I could tell was because his gills were moving ever so slightly. Nothing else. Not a twitch or a shudder. It's so hard to see him like this.