Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #1 
BettaSCHmacK

My First Tank

Well i finally got my first tank. I went with the Mini Bow 5.0. I love this tank. Perfect amount of room and the filter is super quiet. A whole lot quieter than i thought it would be.

Now i have a couple of questions....

1) Would the heater cause cloudy water?

2) How often should i cycle the tank?

3) How often should i clean the gravel?

I wish i can put a picture up but i lost my battery charger for my phone.

I know my guy loves his new home more than i like watching him. He likes to stick his face in the exit part of the filter and swim against it. He's a crazy lil guy.
BettaSCHmacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #2 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaSCHmacK View Post
Well i finally got my first tank. I went with the Mini Bow 5.0. I love this tank. Perfect amount of room and the filter is super quiet. A whole lot quieter than i thought it would be.

Now i have a couple of questions....

1) Would the heater cause cloudy water?
no, it shouldn't really affect it! Just keep up with the water changes. Heaters a a really important aspect for bettas (more important that filters and all that junk) so def. get one!
2) How often should i cycle the tank?
The tank is only cycled once, read up on more info about cycling tanks because I think you are a bit confused on that part....
3) How often should i clean the gravel?
Get a gravel vacume and use it ever 3-6 months
I wish i can put a picture up but i lost my battery charger for my phone.

I know my guy loves his new home more than i like watching him. He likes to stick his face in the exit part of the filter and swim against it. He's a crazy lil guy.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Heaters don't affect the water quality. If they do, you know you've got a defective heater.

Cycling only happens once, unless you lose the cycle. You can lose the cycle by drying out the filter media (the bacteria live in water), gravel, etc. So if you do any water changes, or anything that requires you to remove water from your tank, be sure to keep your filter media and gravel wet so you don't loose the cycle! Otherwise, you'll have to start all over again.

I'm not sure how often you have to clean gravel in a cycled tank, sorry. I just use a turkey baster to stir up any waste that's fallen to the bottom and suck that up.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

The heater shouldn't make your water cloudy but if you didn't rinse the gravel before you put it in the dust from that could cloud your tank for an hour or two.

You should only have to cycle once unless you lose your cycle. Even after you cycle you should still test at least once a week to make sure your numbers stay the same.

Once your tank is cycled you will need to do 1 20-50% partial water change a week. During that water change you should vacuum. Unless you have live plants vacuum EVERY WEEK. And even if you do have live plants I would still vacuum every two weeks. Letting the poo/fish food etc accumulate can create dangerous bacteria that could make your fish sick.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #5 
BettaSCHmacK

Ohhhhhhh....now i understand about the cycle. Ya i thought cycling a tank was water changes. LOL. I do have a heater, its one of those under gravel heaters and it keeps it at around 78-80. The issue im having with the cloudy water is that it was clear the first day, but then all of a sudden it was really cloudy.

Now here's a weird question....should the water level be below the filter exit??? Could that cause cloudy water??? I plan on doing a 25% water change everyday for the rest of the week. Is that too excessive?

Thank you for your help/advice.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

What type of filter do you have? some are ok to be under the water and others need part of the filter outflow above the water line.

Do you have a liquid test kit? If not pic one up.. start testing everyday. Anytime you get a reading of ammonia or nitrite do at least a 20% pwc. While you are cycling you will probably be doing water changes everday... its going to take more than a week to cycle.. more like a month. If you need more info look up the "fish in safe cycle thread"
Old 01-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #7 
BettaSCHmacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
What type of filter do you have? some are ok to be under the water and others need part of the filter outflow above the water line.

Do you have a liquid test kit? If not pic one up.. start testing everyday. Anytime you get a reading of ammonia or nitrite do at least a 20% pwc. While you are cycling you will probably be doing water changes everday... its going to take more than a week to cycle.. more like a month. If you need more info look up the "fish in safe cycle thread"
I have the stock filter that came with my tank. "Aqueon Mini Bow Filter"
It kinda sux because i came up short on money and couldn't buy the API test kit i wanted. It was like $30. So i ended up buying some ammonia clear tablets until next week. $4. A friend of mine as a test kit so i'll have to be a bum until i can afford my own test kit. LOL.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #8 
Jupiter

You don`t want to get rid of the ammonia though, that`s what you need to get the tank cycled. ╠`d just return those tablets, if I were you.

Your tank could be getting cloudy because you didn`t wash the gravelÚdecor well enough, or there`s a bacterial bloom starting. I don`t think a bacterial bloom would happen this early though, so I`d just wait for the water to clear itself. If it`s dust from the gravel, it`ll settle eventually...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

OH.. duh.. I forgot you had the minibow LOL

You want the outflow to be above the water line.. but that won't affect the cloudiness.. what dechlorinator did you use? That might have an effect.

You can get a cheaper version of the API kit at Wal-mart.. its about $17. But borrowing works just as well :D
Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #10 
BettaSCHmacK

Hmmm.....that might be it, that i didn't wash everything good enough. As far as the water treatment i used Tetra's 'Easybalance' and 'Aquasafe'. Should i be using something else?

I think i might be over reacting about the cloudiness but i really want to play it safe because i dont want another tank disaster like the last one.