Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #1 
LaniBaby

Petco PR for Bettas - What do you think?

I came across the press release sent to me by a fellow blogger. It was sent to her in promotion of Petco's Aquatics event. They wanted to teach kids about bettas. They listed 7 myths about bettas and I'm curious to know what you all think of them - it seems like they're sort of off the mark here, and I'm sad that this is what they're teaching people about these fish. A few of them are fine (like #8) but look at #6 especially:

• Myth #1: Fish need a lot of room to swim. Bettas may actually do better in a smaller bowl because they don’t like a current. They like stagnant water because their natural habitat is living in puddles in rice paddies.
> • Myth #2: Fish cannot breath oxygen. This is true for most fish, but Bettas have elaborate gills that allow them to breath oxygen, which is why they can be kept in smaller habitats. They can gulp air rather use their gills because they are labyrinth fish, which also helps them survive in dirty puddles.
> • Myth #3: Some fish cannot be kept with other fish in the same tank. Keeping more than one Betta in a fish tank should be avoided, but Bettas can actually be in the same tank with nonaggressive fish such as swords, platies, mollies and guppies.
> • Myth #4: Fish cannot be trained. Betta’s are smarter than you think! With proper training, Bettas can be trained to jump out of the water, flare on command, and even swim through a hoop.
> • Myth #5: Fish floating on their side is never a good thing. Not for Bettas! Bettas will often float on their side and lay motionless at times because they are native to puddles. In fact, they can even survive without water for short periods of time.
> • Myth #6: Fish require frequent tank cleanings. Some fish need fresh water more often than others. Bettas only need about 25-50 percent of new, fresh water added to its tank every week or so.
> • Myth #7: Goldfish are the perfect “starter” fish. Actually, Bettas are known to be the best kinds of fish to start with. Many people see goldfish as the perfect starter fish, but a recent study shows that 85 percent of the people in the aquarium trade got started with a Betta.
> • Myth #8: Fish cannot show emotion. Betta fish have plenty of emotion to show off! In fact, they will make bubble nests on top of their water to show that they are happy. Some Betta fish owners even say they are greeted by their Betta fish as they are approach its fish bowl.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #2 
Rana

Wow, that is some horrible information. Bettas lie motionless on their sides because they "live in puddles"? How does that even make any sense as an explanation? Sure, some have SBD that can cause floating/sinking, and some do tend to sleep flopped over, but healthy fish don't just keel over.

I wish pet companies would at least pretend to do some research on the animals they sell. It's not like bettas are some strange new fish that have bizarre care needs for crying out loud.

Last edited by Rana; 02-24-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

The only way I could see a fish lying on its side in the wild would be if its puddle was drying up and it was given no choice. I have never seen any of my wild bettas lie on their sides, and most of them actually came from very shallow/small bodies of water.

I wish people wouldn't use the whole 'in the wild' thing when it comes to fancy splendens. They are not wild fish. They have been selectively bred by humans for years now, and apart from the traditional coloured plakats or actual fighters, most don't even remotely resemble their wild cousins. They grew up in jars, tanks or concrete ponds - not rice paddies. It would be like me saying a Chihuahua could live through a winter outdoors because wolves do the same.

I wish stores would bust the myth that 'Bettas prefer dirty water'. There seems to be this idea that stagnant water automatically translates to dirty water. Yes the water probably has a rather foul odour from the decaying leaf litter and organic material, but that doesn't mean the water itself is dirty. Some of my tanks have a strong smell but the water parameters are perfect, and the fish are extremely healthy and happy.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #4 
AmbiantNight

He is shocked by your comment and will viciously stare at you for even suggesting it.
AmbiantNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #5 
LaniBaby

That stare hurts! You should send that to some politicians. I didn't suggest it. i just reposted it so you guys know what petco is peddling and teaching people.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #6 
AmbiantNight

Petco is rarely good information about any animal.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Haha I was trying to think of a dog breed that would most likely be least suited to winter weather.

I wonder if Petco teaches that when your fish is lying motionless on the bottom of the tank it's okay. I mean he's just sleeping...right?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #8 
AmbiantNight

Petco is hard on their employees. Even if you have a better knowledge of the animal your working with then their current policies your not allowed to implement it. You must follow what corporate tells you and that includes what your allowed to give as information to customers.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Does everyone have their sound turned off?

I am going to scream now, and then proceed to babble incoherently for the next hour or so...... just to match the incoherent babble of that release.

(And so poorly written. You mean that person gets to keep their job?)
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #10 
mart

Just plain pathetic.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote