Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #1 
TianTian

Question Angry pacing?

Hey all! Cinder's mommy, here.

Cinder is happy and healthy. His fins are starting on another growth spurt so he looks a little silly with all of his clear-tipped fins.

Just had a quick question: over the past few weeks he has been doing 'angry pacing'. He literally paces back and forth at the bottom of his tank, then swims up and does this really insane circle twist, divebombs to the bottom of the tank and repeats. Sometimes he'll change which wall he does it on.... but mostly it's the front.

So what's up with my boy? What's with the pacing? Is he simply bored? Is there anything I can do?

He's eating very well, his tank is at 78F, cycled, he jumps out of the water for food, flares at everything near his tank, plays hide-and-seek with his plant and me when I'm nearby and gets 90% water changes bi-weekly (with me sucking out all the waste with a turkey baster, leaving him in the tank).

Anything I can do about the pacing?
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #2 
vaygirl

I've read that in a lot of cases it's their own reflection they're chasing. My Whiskey is doing the exact same thing right now in front of me, back and forth, back and forth. If I hold something up to the tank he'll stop and examine it intently. Sometimes I put new things in front of his tank for him to 'check out'. You could try that. I've heard that they like playing with ping pong balls floating in their water. Sometimes turning out Whiskey's light will stop his pacing.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #3 
ledosholas

my jasper does that also i used to worry that he would tire himself out because he would just swim back and forth flaring so i too assumed it was his own reflection so i put something up next to him he doesn't do it as much anymore so maybe that helped.. but jasper our older fish rarely flares up so i don't know
ledosholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #4 
TianTian

Hmmm, okay. He rarely flares at his reflection (or if he does it at all, it's never when I'm around).

:) I'll keep an eye on him.
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #5 
Rain Drop

My Kovu always does that after I give him his meal at night. Yesterday,after his dinner, I watching him swim rapidly, and he was swimming so hard he went from one side of the tank right to the other, thinking he could go right through! I could actually hear the bang from the impact. He's alright though, but it surprised me.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote