Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #1 
ledosholas

Fungus???

HOW DO FISH LOOK AND ACT WHEN THEY GET A FUNGUS? I HAVE READ ABOUT IT BUT IT DOESN'T REALLY HELP I THINK JASPER MIGHT HAVE A FUNGUS, SO PLEASE IF YOU HAVE HAD A BETTA WITH FUNGUS PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME.
JASPER WAS JUST FINE AND HAPPY HE STARTED TO DULL AND I THOUGHT MAYBE HE WAS STRESSED OUT BUT NOW IT SEEMS HIS WHOLE BODY HAS ALMOST LOST ALL ITS COLOR! AND HIS GILLS LOOK WHITE, STILL HE WAS SWIMMING AROUND AND EATING VERY WELL, BUT TODAY HE SEEMS WORE OUT. SO I'M REALLY WORRIED I WENT AND BOUGHT SOME ANTI-FUNGAL MEDICINE. HERE ARE HIS BEFORE AND AFTER PICS,

before:

and (it was hard to get a new pic of him being sick)

AFTER!

PLEASE HELP!
ledosholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #2 
Jupiter

Fungus usually looks like fuzz or cotton attached to your betta. I don't see any on your betta though.

Do you have a test kit? You should check your water parameters first. How big is the tank, and how often do you change the water? Is it cycled and heated?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #3 
ledosholas

he is in a 10 gal it stays about 80 and it is 25% water change weekly. he has hard water! is that bad? everything else looks good on the test.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #4 
ledosholas

EEK wait so having hard water is having a high ph??? how do i fix it?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #5 
DragonFish

No, don't mess with the PH. It'll do far more harm then good. A fluctuating PH causes stress and sickness, so long as its stable it should be just fine.

A fungal infection would, as Jupiter described, look fuzzy or cottony...and I don't see anything on your betta either. How is his behavior? Any different?

Honestly, to me, it looks like he simply had a color change.....and thats totally normal. After a betta adjusts to its new surroundings, they'll usually brighten up and/or change colors. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #6 
ledosholas

really? well he doesn't seem really sick but sometimes lately he sits around at the bottom or top until i go over there then he will swim to me. perhaps i'm paranoid and he is just changing color, i've read that they can get pretty attached to you and i've recently started a new semester so could he be sulking? or stressed from that. he eats VERY well too. oh i don't know.. how long will it take for a color change if thats whats happening?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #7 
DragonFish

Hmm...what are your exact parameters for Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte? What kind of test kit are you using? How long has his tank been set up? The lethargy is a tiny bit worrisome, though its possible he may be bored....

Color changes just...kind of happen. Theres no predicting, when, how, or for how long....Its possible he may even be a marble. I've seen marbles that have changed into a solid color, slimier to your before pic, and I hear that eventually they will change back....perhaps hes changing back.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #8 
ledosholas

all i have right now is one of those 6 in one tests it says there is no nitrate or nitrite and it doesn't test ammonia. his tanks been up for about two and a half weeks. if hes bored do you know of anything i can do to help keep him entertained?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Yeah....your going to want to head out and get the API liquid master test kit(not the cheapest, but its really the only way to get accurate test results....those strips and '6 in one' things are horribly, horribly inaccurate.)and find out your real parameters, especially if its only been a couple weeks. Its not cycled yet. Head over here and read up on doing a cycle with fish http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ght=Cycle+Fish
Your likely going through some sort of spike, which is not only stressful on your fish but possibly even deadly. I'm not so good at explaining things, but that link should tell you everything you need to know.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #10 
JamieTron

Hard water doesn't mean necessarily mean high pH it refers to the amount of minerals in the water, hard water is better for a fish than soft water depending on how hard it is. The hardness of tap water is fine. Normal tap water should have a pH close to 7 bettas are fairly tolerant like Dragonfish said don't mess with the pH this could cause them to go into shock. Not good.

Doesn't seem like fungus

If your water temperature is too cold they can lose color as well, do you have a heater? you should get some nice ammonia testing kits like they said above

Some of my bettas have just changed colors as well, I had one with a white body and now it's purple-ish blue
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color loss, fungal, sick, unknown sickness