Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #1 
nochoramet

Quick Question about temp

I am having a problem... my tank is staying at a steady 84 degrees and I don't even have the heater on. My dorm is swelteringly hot, and i think my hood lights are making it warm too. Is this too hot for them? Or is it ok?
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think they can tolerate 84 degrees ok. I wouldn't let it go much higher, though.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #3 
Eolith

I've heard that bettas are fine all the way up into 86 degrees... but I could be wrong. I keep mine at 80, and they seem to like it.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #4 
nochoramet

Well that's good. I can't get it lower, because the room is very hot, and the light bulbs are hot. I was just scared that I was frying my babies.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #5 
MollyJean

Turn off the tank light, if you can, they don't have to have light all the time. Keep him away from windows and in the coolest part of the room. He should be fine up to 86, but if you notice his scales getting pale (blanching) you need to find a better way to cool him down. Set a fan facing his tank or take a couple of baggys full of ice and put one on either side of his tank at the (outside) bottom. It won't freeze him, but might take the temp down a few degrees.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #6 
nochoramet

Ok I'll turn the light off... I don't have access to ice, but I'll open up the window and turn a fan on.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

He should be fine at 86.. most of my fish actually prefer that temp. Some bettas can be happy at up to 90 degrees. Just keep an eye on him for warning signs that he's too hot.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #8 
nochoramet

Ok thank you :] I was just going to make sure. It's not going over 85* and they all seem to be happy, but I was a bit worried just because I knew 80* is the perfect temp. This is with the heater unplugged... that's how hot it is in my dorm. I can't turn the dorm heater off, and it's annoying! I'm about to die of sweating! In January! Alabama weather is weird.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #9 
Pellaz

I would only really worry about drastic, sudden changes in temp. You're betta should be fine.

If it gets super super hot, Mollyjeans suggestion of the ice-bag works really well. I've done that a few times on my goldfish tanks in the summer and it makes a difference.
Pellaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #10 
nochoramet

Ok :] thanks for the advice. It shouldn't get hotter in here, I was just making sure 84* or 85* wasn't too hot for them. It's stayed pretty steady all week.