Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #1 
shannonpwns

Are my girls bored?

I have a 20 long sorority, fairly newly set up, and my girls seem...bored. I don't know if its because I'm there, and if they act normal when I'm not staring at them, but every time I'm looking at them, most are just swimming up and down the front glass. I feel bad for them....is it just because they see me (and hopefully like me lol) or are they bored and possibly doing this even when I'm not in the room?

I'm thinking of doing some spying on them with a mirror around a corner, to see what they do when I'm not there. I don't want them to be bored, they're reminding me of a caged tiger, just pacing back and forth at the gate wanting out and it's making me sad.

If they are just bored, what can I do to make their lives more exciting? I have some ping pong balls for them, I just haven't put them in there yet. Anything else?
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #2 
Namialus

My fish does that too, but only when I'm around. I see it as begging for food. :P When I'm gone he swims around the tank.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #3 
Winged Mermaid

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that worries about this! Your comparison to the tiger and heartbreak of that is spot on. We all want our fish friends to be happy. I look forward to reading the other replies for this.
Winged Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #4 
quietlythundering

Can you post a picture of your aquarium? I have a few suggestions, but I want t see it first before I say anything (in case you've already done it)
Whoops, just stumbled upon your other post, and your tank looks awesome :D
I was going to suggest maybe some floating logs. I have one in each of my girl's tanks, and they like peeking in and out of them, or even just "resting" in them to get some privacy from their neighbors

Last edited by quietlythundering; 08-13-2013 at 06:37 PM.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #5 
shannonpwns

I ordered a few more plants for them, they should be here in a few days, and I have a floating betta log, it's just in another tank right now. I may pick up another one for the sorority, I just didnt want them to fight over it, or one end be up against the glass making only one exit...that just seems like a fight waiting to happen lol.

Maybe I will get one and find a way to clip it to the edge in one spot.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #6 
quietlythundering

Oooh, that sounds fun! Some people also like to make floating logs out of Styrofoam, since it floats well, and is aquarium safe. Perhaps, you could construct a Styrofoam log with attached to an aquarium safe weight (like a rock.)
Old 08-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #7 
shannonpwns

Styrofoam won't work for me....I'm very picky about what my tanks look like...I'm cheap, but not that cheap hahah. Maybe if I could find some in brown...or even black. Just not blaring white or pink lol. Ill have to look into that! Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #8 
quietlythundering

You're welcome XD and I know EXACTLY how you feel about that!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #9 
Seki

My girls are always out in front when I'm around because I am the bearer of food and they are ALWAYS hungry haha. If I am more than five feet away from the tank, they go back to doing what they were doing... namely, hiding in the plants, chilling in the decor, chasing one another every now and then. Oh, and playing with their thermometer. It's become a game for them to knock it off at least once a week. It's so funny to watch them working at it, too! Two or three girls at a time will wedge themselves between the thermometer and the glass until it pops off and ends up floating. But then they get into a tizzy if I leave it floating for more than a day and there is usually violence, so I have to keep up with things and get the thermometer reattached as quickly as possible.

Females are so much fun to watch. Their distinct personalities make for such an awesome tank of fish! If you wanna stir things up, rearrange the decor. They'll think they're in a whole new tank and have a blast exploring and staking out new territories~
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #10 
quietlythundering

I can't wait to have my own sorority someday :D