Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #11 
doggyhog

Everything looks great!!!! Good luck!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #12 
DefyingGravity

Thanks :) The VE and MW came in this afternoon but they didn't label them, so we have no idea what needs to go with what, and when I asked them they got confused. Sigh.
DefyingGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thats nice. lol I hope you get everything figured out.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #14 
DefyingGravity

We finally worked out what was what! Lol. So we have the MW culture set up, and we are going to do the VE one tonight. I'm a bit nervous about doing the VE one because we aren't 100% sure what we are doing, and I'm really worried I won't have fry food :(
Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck with everything.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #16 
DefyingGravity

Moved Gabriel into the tank today. Noticed he is changing colour, he is losing his pearl sheen and is becoming more pink. I'm assuming it's just a normal colour change as nothing else seems to be wrong.

At the moment he is checking everything out, including attacking the thermometer, and weaving through the plants. Hopefully he starts his bubble nest soon!

I haven't put a light on the tank yet. Will do so tomorrow, if I can find a replacement light at the shops tomorrow.

MW culture has been set up, as has the VE culture, which I hope works. I'm not holding much hope on that one working! I haven't got any live brine shrimp currently, so I'm using frozen brine shrimp tonight for Gab and Ruby to start the conditioning.

And, if all goes to plan, one of my friends wants a fish :) They have a huge tank, so I might convince her to get two :P

Oh and also, I picked up plastic beer cups today for future use of 'jarring' the fry :P Getting ready in advance! lol
Old 01-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #17 
cindylou

You have very beautiful fish to breed. I usually put my sponge filter in after removing the male from the tank but thats up to you. I also leave the light on all the time until the male has been removed and the fry are free swimming. The best luck I have had as far as food is concerned is BBS. With the hatchery you can hatch millions of bbs at a time and if not all used in one day you can put them in the fridge everyday until gone. Your setup is perfect and there are plenty of plants now. I usually just put java in mine, makes great hiding places. I also put several pond snails for the algea if you can get your hands on them. Hope this helped a little more. Good luck and keep us posted.
cindylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:52 AM   #18 
DefyingGravity

Just thought I'd update.

It's been a week since I've moved Gabriel into the tank. He's been flaring at his reflection most of the time, and no sign of a bubble nest as yet. Both him and Ruby have been feed either frozen blood worms or brine shrimp a few times a day.

The VE doesn't seem to be doing anything as yet, and it is too hard to see into the MW culture to see if that is going to plan.

I have next weekend off, so I think I'll probably attempt breeding on Saturday morning.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #19 
DefyingGravity

I've been told to introduce the female into the coke bottle for a few hours each day, leading up until the day you plan to keep her in there until it's time to spawn. So I tested that last night. Ruby was going insane trying to get out.. Gabriel came to look at her twice, and then spent the rest of the time looking at his reflection. And no bubble nest this morning either. Maybe it's because I was sitting and watching them because I was scared she'd get out before they were ready.

I'm so nervous!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity View Post
I Ruby was going insane trying to get out.. Gabriel came to look at her twice, and then spent the rest of the time looking at his reflection. .
That cracked me up!! It's like he checked her out then looked at his reflection because he wanted to make sure he looked good enough for her. ROFL!