Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #1 
kuklachica

Cover for 5 gal tank?

I received a free 5 gall tank, but it does not have a hood or cover. Does anyone have any good ideas for a cover (preferably homemade)? or know of a cheap cover? i have cats so i need to be able to anchor it down. any ideas would be appreciated! thanks!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Hmm I know that some pet stores like Petco and Petsmart sell hoods. I saw at walmart a screen to put on top of the tank, but your cats would probably just claw it open.lol
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #3 
kuklachica

Yeah, I thought of the screen too. It *could* work if I put something on the edges to hold it down. Thankfully my cats don't have claws and haven't jumped on top of the tank I already have... I wonder if I could get a piece of plexi glass and drill air holes and areas for the heater cord and filter hook... anyone know how much plexi glass costs?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Well at my super Wal-Mart back home in SW Virginia I think they sold aquarium hoods with lights so you could try your local Super Wal-Mart and see if they have them. I think the lights are flouresent. =] I hope that helps! =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 01-22-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: SPELLING! >.<
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #5 
doggyhog

Hoods with light are about 9.99 at petsmart. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #6 
kuklachica

what - 9.99???? are they on their website??
Old 01-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

A great DIY hood is plastic mesh and report binders. The mesh is at craft stores for really cheap and the report binders are at walmart, grocery stores, dollar stores, etc etc really cheap as well. Cut the mesh to fit your tank then cover the edges of the mesh with the report binders to give it a "finished" look and add a little weight. You can cut the mest to incorporate a filter or a light and it lets a LOT more air in than your regular hood. You can make a tab to pull the top off using more of the plastic mesh and just glue it. For a 5 gallon tank all this would probably cost you $3... no kidding.

I think it looks really nice.. but if your like me and constantly set stuff on your hood your going to want something sturdier LOL.

I tried to find you pictures but couldn't find any on google :( It sounds messier than it actually looks.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #8 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
what - 9.99???? are they on their website??
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...:referralID=NA
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote