Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #1 
bluepillow

Sad Betta

Hello
Yesterday I bought two Betta fish. I put them in seperate tanks in seperate rooms. They are both males. The one in my brother's room is swimming happily but mine is all depressed looking just moping around and sticking to his one corner. Neither of the fish eat the Betta pellets. Should I try live Brine Shrimp? Is it normal for the fish to not eat the first few days? Also, my fish is mostly purple, but has a little orange on the tail and body. I read that orange might be a disease but can it be just the color of the fish?

Also, when I set the tank up (mine is 3 gal, brother's is 2.5 gal), I added water conditioner, then a little bacteria supplement about 1/2 hr later. I tested the pH to be about 7.0-7.4 and ammonia levels were fine. Temperature was 74 degrees. I waited about 2 hours after that to add the fish. Is there anything I should do differently when I change water? I bought stress coat that I was told I should add to the water when changing it.

Thank youuuuuuu

Here's my Betta:

And this is my brother's Crowntail, he just removed a plant that was bugging the fish, so the tank looks empty:

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics.
bluepillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #2 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

After just one day, they are still getting used to their surroundings. Do not stress out yet.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yupp they're getting used to their surroundings. Keep offering him pellets and if he doesn't eat them, scoop them out with a net or your hands so it doesn't contaminate the water. He'll eventually figure out it's food and when he's comfortable enough, he'll start eating. I would get a couple more silk plants for him to hide in. I had that pink plastic plant in one of my tanks and I had to take it out because it started ripping my bettas fins. I'd stick with silk plants, or you can get a couple live plants if you wanted.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #4 
bluepillow

OK, I will shop around for some silk plants. I offered him food but he swims right past it. Most of the time he leans on the filter motor and goes into depression mode, but sometimes I see him chasing his own reflection then hiding under the bridge. He can be quite entertaining
Old 01-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Sounds normal to me.
Give him some time to get used to his surroundings and give him a place to hide and feel secure until his natural curiousity kicks in.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

They're so funny to watch. I love checking on them when they're sleeping. A lot of my guys shove themselves in their plant. My oldest betta will bob his head until he gets comfy in his plant, it's hilarious! :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #7 
Jupiter

It's normal behaviour, as everyone said.

Btw, do I see a plant stuck horizontally on your tank? Lol.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #8 
bluepillow

Thanks for the input, everyone.

And yes, that is a horizontal plant. I wanted to switch it up a little from the rest, lol.

I bought a few new pieces that I'll put in the tank later on.

Also, I'm still thinking of a name that would be suitable for a depressed fish who enjoys a filter motor. Any suggestions are welcome
Old 01-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #9 
FireKidomaru

I have the same plant as you( the vertical one) and i would have to suggest the name.... waterfall..... or like moon. idk
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #10 
TokyoBetta

I just got mine last week, a week ago today actually, and yes he will be a little 'meh' for a day or two. But soon he'll get hungry, and if you're the one giving him food he'll quickly come to appreciate your presence!
Nothing to worry about based on what everyone has already said and also from my fish, as he did the same thing.
:)
TokyoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote