Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #1 
Hadouken441

White stuff I cant figure out

Hey guys new to the forums and the idiots at my petsmart dont know anything when i ask them.

This my male crowntail betta Posieden (common name i guess :D ) and ive had him for a week.

Hes in a smaller tank right now (1.5 galls) with a heater that keeps it at 79-80F and a small under filter. Hes fed once in morning and once at night only 2 pellets and i fasted him just yesterday.

Now heres my problem. Hes been getting white around him. it doesnt look like the salt sprinkled ich as ive been reading. His whole face is white with some bloody looking scales? and its moving toward his top fin in a line (his spine i guess you can say) and a little little on his chin area. He keeps clamped up and still eats when hes hungry. He sometime goes to the bottom of the tank but the heater is kept under the gravel there so he might be going there for the heat??? anyway i need to know what it is and how to treat it. Ive been trying some betafix and some freshwater salt but it doesnt seem to get any better. Thanks for the help!

Sorry its a phone picture :D

In the picture it looks more red but trust me its pretty white.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #2 
truthequalslies

it it just white or is it cottony? i would change 50% of his water and add half a teaspoon of aquarium salt make sure it disolves in some water befor adding it or it could burn him
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #3 
Hadouken441

It kinda just looks like instead of scales... its just white. I took a really close look and its more on the cottony side. Thanks for the quick reply!

** If cottony isnt the right word it also kind of looks like its just been rubbed off ***

Last edited by Hadouken441; 01-27-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #4 
truthequalslies

well i would stick to just the aquarium salt for a while and watch to see if it gets better or worse and make sure you change his water twice a week
Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #5 
Hadouken441

Thanks for the help truth but any other suggestions would be nice!

His behavior right now is hes hanging out at the top on the tank barely moving... he not dead im makin sure haha.

To me it looks like a fungus on him. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #6 
truthequalslies

he may be just resting bettas like to rest like that alot,,,just keep up with the water changes if it gets worse then you might need medicine to help but just good ol' tlc and some aquarium salt usually does the trick
Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with truthequalslies. Keep up with the water changes and see how he does for the next few days. If it looks like it's getting worse then he may need meds.Welcome to the forum. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote