Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #11 
doggyhog

I use Aqueon pellets. :) They are great and small, so my girls can eat them with no problem.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #12 
MollyJean

I haven't tried the Aqueon pellets yet. Might need to. Lunch won't eat whole Hikari pellets!

elknfish tell us what you got when you get in, I'm very interested!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #13 
elknfish

Ok just got home from practice..Heres what I got:

1st:Pellets..Tetra Betta floating pellets.I just gave him 3 pellets and they are gone already within 2 minutes.

2nd:Heater..This one is a 50w so i can return it to get the less one of 7.5w,its a submersible HT10 maintains water at 78deg.However I also got a therm and it says its at 72.8.

3rd:The corral i have is plastic and i took it out to check for sharpness and it seems fine.

Uh I think thats it..i'm gonna try to figure out how to download pics here so give me a sec and i'll give you guys and gals some photos too.I really appreciate all the help here you are giving me please keep it coming.I want this guy to come to college with me this year so I want to do this right.I dont have much money so a bigger tank is gonna have to wait.As it is I had to borrow 15 bucks from the parents for this stuff .
elknfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #14 
elknfish

Heres a few....

Name:  Picture 004.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  Picture 003.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  107.7 KB
Old 01-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #15 
veganchick

cute! That makes a pretty good betta tank as long as you keep up water changes! I have one for my shrimp, and I love it! I would be careful with the coral thing, looks like its really easy for your betta to get caught in there!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #16 
MollyJean

Looks good to me, but veganchick is right, keep an eye on the coral. Make sure there are no holes in there he might try to swim through and get stuck.

a 7.5 heater would work. Max would be a 25 watt with a temp setting knob, especially if you're thinking about getting a slightly larger tank.

I would make 1 suggestion. Lower the water level a little. Maybe an inch or two from the top. And does that lid have air holes in it? It looks like a nice lid! But Betta breath air as well, so you need some flow. It's alright if the plants are sticking out the top, or bunched around the surface of the water, it'll give him more areas to hide in. And might give him a good place to make his bubble nest. Mine builds his between the silk plants sticking out the top.

I'm glad he's eating, by the way! Whatever he doesn't eat, you need to take out of the tank. It'll fog up the water really fast!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #17 
elknfish

Ya the 50watt is to big it wont fit.I also found out that once you change the water the live plants die!I dont wanna keep changing plants every week so what are some good fake plants or are there other live plants i can get that dont die?While i was changing the water i went to get the plant to put it back in and it wilted,within about 15 minutes.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #18 
MollyJean

I don't know much at all about live plants. I use silk plants for my tank. Plastic plants are OK, but not recommended, because some can have sharp or pointy parts that will rip fins. Like the coral, run plastic plants over pantyhose to see if it snags or rips them. You can pick up silk plants at Walmart or any pet store, or online. I would suggest this, as they're soft, so safe for fins, and easy to clean.. and look more real, which I like, personally.

As for live plants, I hear Java moss is popular, but have never tried it. I'm sure some of the girls and guys here will be happy to point you to something suitable!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #19 
TigerLily

Your tank is looking nice-good pictures! I'm glad you're doing your research to take care of him. The little guy is lucky to have found someone who cares!

As for the plants...I have tried live plants before, and have had bad luck with a lot of them. Silk and plastic plants are a lot easier, plus you won't have to mess with plant fertilizer and lighting issues. The silk/fabric plants are what I use in with most of my fish and those are great, I just clean them under warm water when they get dirty.
My Wal Mart sells them in little packs of three for a few dollars. It's not a bad deal.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote