Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #11 
Jupiter

You're right in thinking 2L is a bit small. We recommend tanks that are at least 2.5 gallons (about 9L) for bettas. Bigger tanks don't bother most bettas, but if they do, they're BIG tanks (like 70 gallons). So upgrading your tank will make your betta very happy!

You can't fit a snail in a tank that small. I'd say you'd need 3 gallons and up for a snail.
By yucky stuff, do you mean algae, or fish waste? You can control algae by not placing your tank in direct sunlight, or reducing the amount of light that the tank recieves. Fish waste you will have to clean on your own, though. For a tank of your size, I'd recommend cleaning it every other day. But when you get a bigger tank, you can clean it less!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #12 
Jazattackk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntail Fan View Post
Hey guys,
I just got a Betta fish, for the first time, and I am trying to give it the best care possible, and I have a few quick questions...

I only have one, Amadeus, a red and blue little beauty

He is in a 2L tank (which I think is about 1 gallon?) and it seems really small... I know that it has to be shallow for them to be able to breath, but I thought maybe he could get a bigger one? I longer one or something? I want to get him a real plant or two, but I also know that they need to be able to come up for air... which is why I bigger tank would be good.

My next question is, can I get him a snail to eat the yucky stuff, or will Amadeus just eat it?

If someone can help me that would be really good!
2L is about 1/2 a gallon. I think your fish would be happier in at least 2.5 gallons. It's also easier to clean that way. I think your tank is too small for a snail, it would be really cramped for the betta, and they perfer to live alone anyways. Also, I read that snails can give bettas finrot ? I don't know about that though.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #13 
Crowntail Fan

We don't seem to have any Cheap as Chips stores here, or in Sydney that I have found... I think I am gonig to have to go to a pet shop for a good tank. I thought my tank was too small, thank you everyone for clearing that up for me! I am glad I joined this site... It's making things SO much easier! I don't have any algae in the tank at the moment, but it is not in direct light at all. I don't know what I really meant by "yucky stuff" it was just a thought my partner put in my head haha.
Thank you so much for all this help! I will have to let you know when I get a bigger tank and some nice plants for Amadeus! I've only had him since Thursday, and I'm in love already!
Crowntail Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

Snails need high levels of calcium, ph and kh which make bettas prone to fin rot and bacterial infections.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #15 
Crowntail Fan

Ooh good to know - thanks! Is there anything I can keep with Amadeus? Not that I mind if I can't, he's cute on his own!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #16 
truthequalslies

well it depends on tank size the bigger the tank the more you can keep theres a thread on betta companions in the compatibility section of the site
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #17 
louu

hello! I live on the central coast as well and if you arnt scared of spending a bit of money you can find at petbarn an aquaone tank thats around ten litres with light and filter and lid for $25 (though that deal might be over) or one tank that is bigger (maybe 20L) and has all the do's (including a plant ornament gravel light filter and lid) for $60 those are probably your best options considering quality size and bang for buck, the latter can be found at petbarn also and i have seen both at other pet shops around the place. But if you dont want to have 20L and a filter for your fish you can go to the pet section at Big W and there is a 15L no thrills basically a glass container for $25? but bigW is worth a look at I cant vouch for their filters but their glass doesnt crack with a heater. 15L is borderline on whether to bother with a filter or not with no filter your looking at a water change maybe every 3-4 days but not sure someone else can fill you in with whatever you get but i would most definately upgrade bettas are around 2-2.5 inches long and the general rule is one gallon per inch which translates as about 2.5 gallons or roughly 8 or so litres though bettas can be just as healthy on paper (not literally)in 4 litres absolute minimum but wont be as happy which is what you should be aiming for

Im pretty sure betta's wont venture further than they can return unless they are sick or old and need to rest on the gravel in which case you need to lower the water level.

sorry for the mammoth reply i hope atleast some of it is helpful
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #18 
Crowntail Fan

That's really helpful. I had thought of the petbarn actually. Thanks heaps! :D