Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #1 
integline

Betta and Bamboo

Does this work? It is a smaller bowl, but it is around 1 to 1.5 gallons I think. He hides under the rocks and the roots.
Attached Images

integline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #2 
Jupiter

That looks far smaller than a gallon. Maybe 0.5 gallons. You should get him something bigger.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #3 
DragonFish

It may be 1 gallon or so, but with that bamboo and the rocks its going to be far less then that....and it really doesn't look like he has much room to swim :/

Besides, 1 gallon is too small for a betta anyway.....he should have at least 2.5 gallons and his tank should be heated, they need a stable temp of 78-82 degrees F. You can still keep the bamboo when you upgrade, so long as the leaves remain out of the water, but he still needs some sort of cave to hide in. He could hurt himself 'hiding' in those marbles and in the roots :/
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #4 
AlexXx

i would really suggest getting him a bigger home of at least 2.5 gallons. Your bamboo looks great though, i have two that look just like that.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #5 
integline

after seeing this forum, I think we will upgrade to a much larger vase. Is there such a thing as a battery operated heater? The rocks are very round, no sharp points, so I think he is ok? he seems very happy in there.
integline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

There are no battery operated heaters that I'm aware of.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #7 
BettaSCHmacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
You can still keep the bamboo when you upgrade, so long as the leaves remain out of the water, :/
How do bamboo leaves affect bettas? I've always wanted to use a combination of live plants mixed with bamboo.
BettaSCHmacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by integline View Post
after seeing this forum, I think we will upgrade to a much larger vase. Is there such a thing as a battery operated heater? The rocks are very round, no sharp points, so I think he is ok? he seems very happy in there.

If you can find a vase 2.5+ gallons, go for it ;) Terracotta pots also make great cheap betta caves and look nice, IMO. Never heard of a battery operated heater though either....
He could hurt himself in other ways besides just ripping his fins, for example....if he were to get stuck under those marbles or caught in the roots of the bamboo and was unable to reach the surface he'd drown or squish himself trying to get out....or both. He'll be fine for now until you can get him a better home, but keep the water clean.....I'd say change the water every other day or so in a 1 gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaSCHmacK View Post
How do bamboo leaves affect bettas? I've always wanted to use a combination of live plants mixed with bamboo.
The leaves themselves won't hurt the betta, but bamboo isn't meant to be totally submersed and if the leaves don't remain exposed then they will rot and screw up your water. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote