Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #1 
sockyted

Smile Where to buy bettas?

Hi everyone- I'm a newbie here but I've been lurking for a while. To give a brief background, around half a year ago my grandma gave me one of those awful Frog-O-Spheres from Brookstone:

It looked so small , but I just kept it and only cleaned the tank once (as per the instructions) and one of my frogs died. I researched it further- I feel so awful for putting my frogs in such a tiny and unhealthy space! I just transferred my froggie into a 1 gallon kritter keeper until I can put him in my big tank. And since ADF's and bettas are compatible, I'm really excited that I can finally get a betta! At the moment, I'm cycling my 14 gallon with ammonia- but I was wondering where to look for bettas when the tank is done? I have two big pet stores and one local fish store by my house. Or should I look to a breeder? Thanks in advance :3
sockyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #2 
truthequalslies

if you have a petco theirs a variety of types of bettas , petsmart and prettymutch all fish shops carry bettas,,,snails cory catfish and ghost shrimp are also compatible with bettas =}
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I get mine mostly from Petco and Petsmart. Petco has more of a variety though. Petsmart tends to have more veiltails and only a couple crowntails.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #4 
sockyted

Yeah, I think Petco has a lot of variety. Do you know if they sell halfmoons?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah they sell halfmoons, deltas, kings, veitails and crowntails. At least the ones in CT.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #6 
Noko

I try not to promote the sad conditions most Petcos, and the other large petstore chains keep their bettas in. The ones there are also not as great as the ones you can get online. Aquabid.com has some really nice bettas. They are a little bit more expensive, but high quality bettas. If you were to get a betta from a large petstore, I would suggest Petco though. Petsmart doesn't have as large of a selection usually.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #7 
Avoftw

Petco, even though they dont keep the bettas in great conditions, they have more variety and they are less sickly than one's ive seen at my local petsmart.. just sad. PETCO > PETSMART, in my opinion.
Avoftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #8 
sockyted

Generally how much is transhipping for Aquabid? I saw one I really like that's around $12- but do you guys know how much it would be plus transhipping and shipping?
Noko: I definitely know what you mean, and that's why I'm hesitant to buy from Petco. My LFS has nice, healthy bettas in individual bowls- but they're all veil tail and I'm sort of hoping for a halfmoon.

Last edited by sockyted; 01-24-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: forgot to reply
Old 01-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #9 
DragonFish

AB is totally awesome, they have some of the most beautiful fish.....I've never bought anything from AB, but I hear the transhipping can cost an arm and a leg(like, $50 or more....)...but I've also never heard of anyone who was unsatisfied with what they got xD Depends on if you want to put that much down on a fish thats just going to be a pet...if you plan on breeding, I think its a good investment, but otherwise...well, I wouldn't do it personally, but thats up to you ;)

You can always search for a local breeder, in fact that'd probably be your best bet to get a nice quality fish, not to mention you wouldn't be supporting those horrible chain stores. Another thing you could try is talking to your LFS about maybe ordering an HM for you....might as well give it a shot, you never know xD

I agree with Avoftw though, if you end up just going and buying from a store Petco definitely wins over Petsmart, wider selection and a bit cleaner.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #10 
Jayy

I would go with petco or aquabid
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote