Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #1 
Avoftw

Cool Need help deciding! Please? :)

So i am going off to college this next fall and im going to stay in a dorm. i have 2 bettas, mr marshmallow and melly and i definitely want to take them with me. melly is in a 3 gallon (has heater, filter, and thermometer) and mr marshmallow is in a 2 gallon(has heater and thermometer). today my friend and i were talking about my bettas and she offered me her 5 or 10 gallon (she couldnt remember) because she doesnt use it. it comes with a filter and maybe has lighting? i told her i would take it off her hands. QUESTION IS, should i take the 2 and 3 gallon tanks my fish are already in when i go off to college? or should i just transfer them over to the larger tank and put in a separater? just thinking of college dorms and what would be easiest. Opinions please :)
Avoftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #2 
puppyrjjkm

Some dorm rooms have requirements on how many gallons you can have. My sister could only have 5 gallons, due to dorm rules. I would check that out first. If there are no restrictions I would move them to one tank. Less water changes and takes up less space. Especially if it is a 10 gallon tank, both of your fish get an upgrade too! :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #3 
kelly528

Mmmm.... personally, I would keep the 3 smaller tanks at home and take the 10g to college. That way if you can't find a place to put the 10g you can at least switch it for the 5g. At least when I go back to university in September I am definitely keeping all my tanks lightly stocked. 5.5g for my betta, 50g for 3 goldfish, etc... university gets busy and you may not always have the time to change the water exactly every 7 days. The extra space buys you valuable time if you have to push water-change day back a few days to study for an exam, go on a trip, leave your fish over spring break etc.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I agree. Check your dorm's rules regarding pets then go from there. I will tell you this though its a lot easier to keep two fish in a divided 10 (cycled) than it is to keep them in separate smaller tanks.

You also need to know the floor plan of your dorm so you can know how much physical table space you have to work with.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #5 
nochoramet

Yeah you should definitely find out the restrictions. I can have a 20g tank, but I stuck with my 10g because I didn't like how big the 20g was. I like having one big tank rather than 3 little ones though.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote