Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #1 
elknfish

new to the betta family help please!

I also just got a new betta.I have blue gravel in there,a pink corral,and 1 tree that is live.He always hides under the corral,is that ok?Also I never see him feeding,I am using the Tetra Bettamin tropical medley,is that ok?The tank is a 1.5 gal box tank so thats 6liters,how many drops of conditioner do want to put in it,i just put tap water that was luke warm.I plan on changing his water in the morning,so do i let the water sit for awhile or just put it in right away?I also kept the little bowl he came in so i guess i need to put drops in there too?Any help you guys can give will be greatly helpful.
elknfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:30 AM   #2 
MollyJean

Oh, wow.. where to start? You should have done the research before getting the fish, but we'll clear this up.

You need to read this.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

Read ALL OF IT. This will give you everything you need to know about your new betta.

But let's cover the basics.

1st, 1.5 gallons isn't really big enough, but it will do for now. If you can get something 2.5 gallons or larger, do so. Even one of those little critter keepers at the pet shop and Walmart will do.

2nd, Betta are tropical fish. Just giving him warm water won't do it. It has to STAY warm. Around 78-82 degrees warm. You want to get a heater, or keep him in the warmest room of your house.

3rd, your conditioner should have directions on the back. It should say how many table/teaspoons per gallon, or have a number of drops. Just go by that. If you don't understand it, I suggest asking someone in your house for help, or, if you have to, type out the instructions here and we can read them and help you.

4th, The water he came home in should be conditioned. You'll have to condition the water you are setting up for him. You'll want that water to set. The bottle of conditioner should say for how long it needs to set, but if it doesn't, I would wait at least 3 hours before you put the fish in. You'll want to "float" the fish before putting him in the new tank water. Keep container you got him, keep him in the container with the water he came in, and let it set in the water for a while so he get's use to the water temp. If you put him in right away, he might go into shock. You want to put a little bit of the new water from his tank into the cup every 15-20 mins so he can get use to the new PH. When the cup is overflowing with new water, he's ready to be released into the new tank.

5th, what kind of plant do you have? And you might want to make sure the coral doesn't have any jaggad or sharp ends on it. A betta's tail is very delicate; Plastic plants, sharp edges on decorations and sharp rocks can cause rips. Keep your fish safe and he'll be a lot happier.

6th, FOOD! You need to feed him 1 pellet at a time. Watch him eat them, and clean out anything he doesn't eat. EVERY SINGLE TIME. A betta's stomach is about the size of his eyeball. Most people feed their betta 3 or so pellets a day. I feed mine 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. But they're like dogs, they don't know when to stop eating, so watch him, and make sure he doesn't over eat.

7th, You will HAVE to clean his tank often because it is so small. change 100% of his water twice a week, and between those, change 50% of his water. That should keep him very clean and happy. If you don't, things like Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates can build up and make your fish sick! Never use cleaners to clean his tank. Hot water should do.

8th and last, if your fish is new, he might hide a lot and refuse to eat. He needs to get use to his surroundings. He'll be fine for a week or two if he's still scared, but if he's not eating after that, you may want to improve his habitat. And hiding is normal, once he gets use to you, he should come out more.

Now, how long have you had your betta? And are you caring for him alone, or are your parents helping?
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #3 
elknfish

Wow thats alot info but thanks alot i will use all of it.

1st:Thats the tank i got cause thats the one the store told me to get.

2nd:I did follow the directions on the bottle but i was just wondering,so i should be good there.I did keep him in his original cup and float him for about 30 min before i put him in his new tank but i did not put the new water in there .Also i was told i didnt need a heater but i guess thats wrong so i will get one.I do have a therm so i will use that to see what the temp is before i change his water.

3rd:The plant i have is a live 8" plant that came in the gel base,i washed all the gel off and buried the roots in the gravel.

4th:The food isn't pellets its flakes.Should i switch it out for pellets?

5th:I did do research before but i just wanted clarification,my bad.I was worried cause i havent seen him eat and all he wants to do is hide in the corral.I'm gonna take that corral out and put somthing else in there.Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help i appreciate it,please any other feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and i have had him for almost a week now.i got him on wed.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-24-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:02 AM   #4 
MollyJean

The pellets would be better, betta don't really like flakes, not to mention, they can really dirty up your water, and you'll have to change it more often. And if you feel the corral is going to hurt him, yes, remove it, but he does need something to hide behind, so find something suitable. Silk plants are good, or any aquarium decoration that isn't sharp. A rule of thumb is if you can drag it across a pair of pantyhose and it doesn't catch, it should be fine.

I would like to know what kind of plant you have, some can be toxic, and some are not suitable for the life aquatic.

One thing you have to remember that most pet store workers and just about all Walmart workers know jack squat about caring for betta. They just want to sell you something. But it looks like you're OK for now. Get him a heater and keep him warm and switch food and you should be good. Bigger tank when you can. Anything 2.5 gallons and larger is suitable. A lot of people go for the 5 gallons at walmart, they're a good price and a good size. Whatever fits your lifestyle and budget.

Oh, and one more thing! WE LOVE PICTURES! And they can help us help you! And we like looking at pretty fishies. What's he look like?

And if I don't respond, sorry, I'm falling asleep, but I'll be back tomorrow.

Last edited by MollyJean; 01-24-2010 at 02:05 AM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #5 
elknfish

Molly you are such a great help thank you very much.as soon as i figure out how to post a pic i will.Actually he looks just like your pic,he's blue and his fins are just about the same .I'm going in the morning to get a heater,pellets for him and as soon as i get off of here i'm going to get his new water going so it can sit till the morning.I will check back here and we can catch up,i read that post you sent me and the biggest thing i noticed is that one FAQ said he on the bottom,thats what my fish is doing,and cody said the water is to cold.BTW my sister named him Swimmy .The plant is kinda like a fern,it was in a plastic case and the sign said live betta plants,i dont know.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum! I think MollyJean covered everything. And, yes, we LOVE pics, like MollyJean said. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #7 
Jupiter

Just come to us for advice. We're friendly and know what we're talking about! Petstore people usually don't.

If you're going to get a heater for your 1.5L, get the 7.5 watt Hydor one. And for pellet food, I recommend Hikari. ;)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I second Hikari.:)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I have Wardley's but there are a lot of clumped pellets so I have to crush them which can get annoying.lol
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #10 
veganchick

good luck with the new guy!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote