Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #1 
DragonFish

GAH! No!!

Okay, so, on top of all the drama with my kritter keepers guess what I find? Well, I first noticed that Jirou was sitting on the gravel of his section of my divided 10 gallon. Now, he is known for poking about the gravel for anything edible and likes to spend time swimming through his silk plants and little temple, however, he didn't look like he normally did while on the bottom....so I got closer.....only to find that his beautiful fins were torn to shreds, he had several scales missing, and he was breathing heavily. Closer inspection reviled Supernova hiding in the temple that little...word I probably can't say on here.....somehow ninjaed over the itty bitty space between the top of the divider and the part of the hood where I open it to feed and got into Jirous side of the tank!! GAAAAH!!! I wanted to strangle him and pull my hair out at the same time!!

They're both nice and torn up now in cups floating on their own sides. Jirou is far worse off however with several wounds to his body and one of his gills looks torn :/ I have no way to QT either and I dropped the level of the tank again so no jumping can occur(theres absolutely no other way he could have gotten through the divider besides jumping through that small space)but I'm still scared about putting them back in their sides.....what should I do? Should I switch it up, put them in my divided 5 gallon, and put Wally and Smore where they are? Separate them out into my half gallon bowls and put Shiro-chan and Ed in the 10 gallon...? I know to treat them with warm, clean water and salt.....but I don't know what to do with them now :/ Help?

Edit: I'd also like to add that Al, whos in the third section, of my 10 gallon, is perfectly fine and happy and normal...and seems very confused about whats going on. Though I'm worried about what to do also because hes in the tank as well. I know salt won't hurt him, but if I end up having to medicate....

Last edited by DragonFish; 01-17-2010 at 11:07 PM.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:17 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Oh wow that sucks! =[ I'm so sorry. This just isn't your week. =/ *gives cookies*
Well I'm glad that Al is alright! =] He's also staying in-character being all sweet and good and not having a clue what's going down. =]
I hope that everything pans out in the end and that all of your fish get better! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #3 
DragonFish

Gah, I know :/ Its like the universe just hates me for some reason....
Yeah, I am relived that Al is okay though :) I was soooo relived he was alright, but soooooooo ticked at Nova at the same time....Gah, lets just hope Jirou lives up to HIS name and keeps fighting. Hes pretty bad off, I might switch him out with Ed or Shiro-chan and if my Hydor minis don't overheat the bowls....
Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Alright, quick little update here...

Bad news is, now that I'm get a better look at Jirou, he REALLY does look like a plush toy after a hour with my dogs(absolutely torn the shreds, its not pretty :/)
Good news is that he sure as heck is living up to his name and seems just as ticked at Nova as I am, flaring up a storm in his little cup despite his condition, and scarfing down food like he hasn't eaten in years. To lower his stress level though, the plan is to switch him and Ed, putting Jirou in the half gallon where I can watch him more closely and keep his water nice and clean.

Nova has some ragged fins now, but otherwise is just fine, and has been released back into his side of the tank. Al is still totally confused and not sure whats going on, but just fine as well.....so it seems everyone will be okay, which is a huge relief

Last edited by DragonFish; 01-18-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm glad everyones doing better!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #6 
doggyhog

He should be fine... my Wolfie got beat up by Jello once. Yikes... he was reeeeal torn up. But he's back to normal now! Then Angel beat him up last spawning attempt... poor dude.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Poor lil guy :(

Hope they're both doing better.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #8 
DragonFish

Thanks you guys :) Yes, both he and Nova are doing just fine. Not surprisingly, Jirou, who was in fact somewhat of a rescue, is a little fighter and, despite having lost most of his finage and having a chunk taken out of his left 'frill', is eating and interacting with me normally. Theres no doubt in my mind, I'm sure with a little extra TLC and time he'll be just fine ;)

However, though it does't relate to this topic necessarily, I'm worried about Shiro-chan :/ I thought he was getting better, but he seems to only be getting worse.....I don't know what to do with him now....Ugh >_<;
Old 01-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #9 
JamieTron

In my divided tank I leave the water at least 4 inches down from t...he top of the divider to help prevent jumping, I had a female that liked to jump and leaving the water lower helped prevent that. If that helps...

I am sure some salt baths can help your little guys out bit. The female jumper jumped into the side with my male in it before I knew she enjoyed jumping and beat him up pretty good cause he was like "oooooooooooo a lady" and she was like "ah! who he heck are you? ATTACK" I came home from class to find them like this...gah. His caudal fin was torn all up but he healed fine so hopefully yours can have a quick recovery as well
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #10 
DragonFish

I don't like to leave the water level too low because then the filter starts to splash, and all the tanks are in my room....so it drives me nuts :P I'd never had a problem with anyone jumping before either, the dividers are all right up agents the tank hood. The space that he jumped through is VERY small too, I never even thought he could fit thought it(but its the ONLY way he could have gotten over). But, I have lowered the water level a bit and everything seems to be all well and good, back to normal. :)

I may start with salt baths, though I'm not particularly fond of them....taking the fish out of the tank and what-not repeatedly. I'll just keep his container warm, clean, and salted for now...but if that doesn't do the trick I'll begin daily salt baths ;) Thank you though, I do appriciate it ^-^