Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #1 
sharkb8

Need a few recomendations on a heater, new betta, etc...

Alright well i got a eclipse hex 5 fish tank for Christmas this year, and i have fully done it up with rocks, furniture and some plants. went to the pet store and picked out a really cool red and blue crown tail betta.

Only problem is, according to the guy in the pet store, bettas can live with or without a heater. According to you guys though, and various other places on the net, it seems like i need one. so what should i do? i want him (doesnt have a name yet) to live a long, healthy life, but other than reading a few pages about them, i really have no idea what im doing. Bad planning on my part, i should have read into it more before i went out and purchased this stuff. I want to learn though, and am exploring the site and learning as much as i can.

Any help would be great guys. really need to know what heater i need, and any other first time tips would be great. name suggestions are welcome too! Also please keep in mind I am a college student in a dorm, so nothing too fancy or expensive.
sharkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Yep! They need a heater! For a 5g, you can get a 25W or a 50W your choice.

Welcome to the forum.

PS. NEVER listen to pet stores, they'll tell you anything to get an extra buck!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #3 
truthequalslies

i agree with doggyhog besides most petstore workers don't know anything they just work their and petco and petsmart workers make comission on top of hourly wages so they really want that extra buck
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I also agree with doggyhog.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #5 
sharkb8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Yep! They need a heater! For a 5g, you can get a 25W or a 50W your choice.

Welcome to the forum.

PS. NEVER listen to pet stores, they'll tell you anything to get an extra buck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthequalslies View Post
i agree with doggyhog besides most petstore workers don't know anything they just work their and petco and petsmart workers make comission on top of hourly wages so they really want that extra buck
Thanks. Im kind of kicking myself in the butt for not reading all this stuff before hand and getting the info. I had the tank and knew i wanted a fish, but after i saw this little guy i definitely wanted to get a betta.

Any recommendations on brands doggyhog? And do i need to get one asap? ive had him since friday and he seems ok, and i plan on going tmrw night to get one. If something comes up though i dont want to have him get too cold and hurt him.
sharkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #6 
doggyhog

You can get a Tetra Heater. They are cheap, not the best though. I recommend Elite or Visitherm, they are pricey, but if you think about it, it's cheaping then getting a heater then having to replace it!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have 2 Tetra whispers in my 1.5 gallons and I haven't had any problem so far with them. "knocks on wood" They are non adjustible though, so I monitor my water temperature.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

I use topfin heaters in mine.. they're cheap but you can still adjust them so they're slightly better than the tetra heaters. The bad thing about the topfin's is that they don't have a temp setting.. just low to high. So you have to fiddle with it a little to get it the exact temp you want.

Also make sure you get a thermometer that goes in the tank (the glass ones are best IMO.. and cheap). Put it in the corner opposite to where you put the heater for most accurate readings.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #9 
Jayy

nice tank!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #10 
LisaC144

I love Marineland Visitherm. They are a bit more pricey at about $15 for a 25w, but isn't it worth a few extra bucks for a good, durable heater? I also love that they are solid black so it isn't ever an eye sore in the tank. I use it in both my 55g and 5g.
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote