Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #1 
SecondmateFlint

Unhappy Fin rot!

I know there's been a bunch of threads about fin rot but I more have questions about it.

Just yesterday I put my male betta Badonkadonk into a brand new five gallon tank (he was in a one gallon with an under gravel filter). I noticed a couple days ago his fins looked more jagged than before and after doing research I found out that it's fin rot. This is my first betta and I'm really scared for him. I am about to run off to Petco before my class to get him something, but what should I get him? I just put him in fresh water but the rips look worse today than yesterday. I saw something about salt? Also I had an ammonia/nitrate remover but because he's never had it before I was concerned to put it in. What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

Please help :(

EDIT: Is he tailbiting? How would I know?

Last edited by SecondmateFlint; 01-25-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Read more forum posts
SecondmateFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Maracyn can be used to treat fin rot. If you can post a pic of your betta, it would help us figure out if it is fin rot or tailbiting.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #3 
SecondmateFlint

Thank you very much.

I don't have a camera (unbelievable I know) but I will try to get a picture up. Just to be safe because I'm worried he some white blotches on his face, I added "Betta Revive," I had to add a lot because I have a five gallon tank so the water's blue and a little bit of freshwater aquarium salt (that's what all the sites I looked at said I should do). In retrospect I'm worried I acted to hastily because the water is VERY blue. (40 drops, one drop/16 mL, 128 mL/gallon, eight drops/gallon, forty drops for five). I was just worried about him. Did I do the wrong thing?

Sorry about the super lengthy explanation. I will try to get a picture of him.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not familiar with Betta Revive so I can't really advise you on it. You can always change the water and put salt in there and nothing else.. Just make sure that you keep the water clean. Clean water is very important and will definitely help the fin rot.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #5 
SecondmateFlint

This is a three day treatment so I think I will see how it goes. He seems fine now, but he's hanging around the top of the water. If the situation gets worse then I will definitely change out the water.

Thank you very much for all of the help!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're welcome. :)