Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #11 
2muttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Once you start small jars like this, every single container in your house becomes a potential new holder of a plants.
Oh yes! And I'm just imagining my next trip to the thrift shop......
2muttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #12 
Rana

Those are so cute! If I wasn't a disaster with plants I would so love to try one.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #13 
amphirion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo View Post
I LOVE THESE SO MUCH! Not sure about the shrimp, because the water quality would be seriously hard to maintain in a micro tank like that, but don't me on that!
Shrimp like that have an almost insignificant contribution to bioload. They will not be responsible for altering water quality or chemistry. Over feeding them however, is a different story.
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #14 
2muttz

Can anyone suggest a type of snail that might work in something like this?

I'm thinking a nerite might be hard to keep fed, and a mystery snail would be too big??

Thanks.
2muttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #15 
Laki

Feeding shrimp?! hahaha don't be foolish :P

My shrimp (the ones I kept, I gave most of them [females] away) have not been fed since I got them.. I had them for 13 months, I might have fed them when I got them but the mess was enough for me to stop. They scavenge on dead plant material, biofilm, BB and whatever goodies live in the substrate.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #16 
Joey Fish

I can wait until I can set up a mini one. And my petstore had anmini shrimp in with the big ones, so if i can snag that one when I go back... Ooh it will be great!
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #17 
gracierat

YES! I have some! I had these little bowl around that flowers came in. I always have trimmings and extra plants, so decided to plant the vases. it is a bunch of fun! I plan on checking out thrift stores for more bowls to use. Next I'm going to try with soil, the one I have now I used sand. Here are some photos of my little bowls.
gracierat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #18 
Joey Fish

Wow those look great, my end goal, do you have any critters in there? Love the bamboo sticking out. :)
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #19 
gracierat

Thanks! :D No, I don't have any critters in them. They do get natural light, so I think I may have a problem with algae eventually. I thought maybe I will just pop one of my nernite snails it them to clean up the algae for me. The vases have only been planted for about a week.
gracierat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 AM   #20 
Tree

I have a question about this. I also have a .5 gallon tank that has extra plants. would they need heat to survive? I have light for them but no warmth for the plants.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote