Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #21 
gracierat

Hi Tree, I think room temp is just fine. I don't have a heater for mine and they are doing just fine. And I have also been researching indoor water gardens and they so far don't mention using a heater. I did wonder though if you put snails or shrimp in if they would need a heater? I have a large (I'm guessing over 1 gallon) apothecary dish that I may use for another water garden that I could fit a heater in easily. I may put some shrimp in it. So I will have some research to do!
gracierat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #22 
jadaBlu

I had have snails in a unheated food containers with plant scraps and duckweed for months sitting in a window with some snails. I started with pond snails I didn't have the heart to kill. Malaysian trumphet snails do really fine in this situation I was doing that for awhile to quarantine them and stock tanks. The population basically does not get bigger than the container will support. I am trying it with a really small container with some hitchhiker snails that has a moss ball that was infected with algae and won't go away. I figure the snails will eat the algae. I added some plant scraps and will add more. I will change the water weekly. I don't feed the snails at all. They survive off of the plant life.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 03-09-2014 at 09:17 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #23 
Tree

That's good to hear. thanks. =)

I found another hitchhiker snail and placed it in the .5 tank and they seem to be doing well without the heater.

right now the only plants are in my small take is duckweed, two small snails and java moss. I hope to add more in it to make my own little garden.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #24 
Joey Fish

I think I am going to use some slow growing stems and bamboo. Does anyboy know about shrimp that stay small size?
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #25 
sponge1234

I think that RCS would be the best.

Last edited by sponge1234; 03-12-2014 at 12:16 PM.
sponge1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:05 AM   #26 
Joey Fish

Thats what I was thinking, just had to make sure. I love how small they are, and they probide great color
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #27 
Elvette Emmett

I turned one of my betta cups into a mini NPT. It has 2 baby java ferns, a little hornwort stem and some riccia moss. Like jadaBlu I dont like killing so I have a few bladder snails, baby mystery snails, and some brineshrimp/sea monkeys that came off my plants in it
Attached Images

Elvette Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #28 
jadaBlu

My container is not much bigger than a betta cup it's in the window the snails are doing fine. I am changing a little bit of the water each week. I am not sure that isn't a bit of a shock because after I change it all of the snails go running to the surface. I actually see more ramshorns than I probably started with. I observed a ramshorn eating snail eggs so that may keep the population down. I figure the snails will get to live a little this way not as long as in an aquarium but awhile.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #29 
Tree

right now my .5 gallon tank is cloudy, but here is mine. It has two snails and live plants.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #30 
gracierat

Very cute little water gardens guys! I started another one lol! my hubby thinks I'm nuts! I too have hitchhiker pond snails in my plants I bought, so there is one in each of my water gardens. Here's the newest one, it's a gallon apothecary jar, I took the lid off because I plan on planting some plants that can be emergent plants in there too.
And here are my first ones growing well!

gracierat is offline   Reply With Quote