Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 AM   #11 
unlimitedx

pictures would be great! thanks 1fish2fish :)

btw i got some "betta bulbs." anyone have experience with those? they're suppose to grow into plants within 30 days or money back.

as for food, i plan to get the HBH betta food. is that a favorable one?
unlimitedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #12 
nochoramet

Hmm I bought some betta bulbs and they all rotted within 2 weeks... but maybe that's just my luck lol!
As for a baffle, you also could build one out of a water bottle, I'll try to find the link to a thread showing you how to do it.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
that should be it if you want to try it. I did it and it works great!
Good luck!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

The water bottle doesn't work for the Eclipse Systems because of the special design of the filters.. the sponge method works wonderfully.

Betta bulbs are a hit or miss thing but what you need to know is:
1. Don't put the bulbs directly into your tank. Get a bowl of tank water and put the bulbs in there and either shine a lamp on them or put them were they will get a lot of sunlight. When the bulbs start to sprout then you can put them in the tank.
2. When you put the bulbs in the tank don't bury them.. just let them sit on top of the gravel. If you bury them they will rot. It may be ok to partially bury them so they don't move around too much but definitely leave most of the bulb on top of the gravel.
3. If the bulbs float when you put them in the bowl throw them out.. they're bad. If they partially sink just wait a while until they sink all the way down.
4.If the bulbs are squishy throw them out.. they're bad too.

I will take some pics of my set up later on tonight and put them up on here probably around 6ish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #14 
unlimitedx

Thanks for the advice on the betta bulbs! I decided to put the bulbs in a ziploc bag with a low level of water, and tape the bag against the window. We did this many years ago in elementary school with pinto beans :)

I got some plants for my aquarium, and I got the crowntail blue and gold betta!! So far, I've placed some frill plants at the outlet to weaken the water flow.

I think I will set up a DIY CO2 diffuser as well. Any advice?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

OK.. sorry I took so long.

Here are the pictures of my buffer. I use an aquarium grade sponge.. I highly suggest you use a sponge similar to this.. you want the water to be able to flow through it easily. Make sure you boil the sponge before adding it to your tank just to make sure there are no bacteria etc that could harm your fish.

as you can see there are notches cut so that the sponge hangs straight down. It just barely touches the top of the water.

make sure the rubber bands do not impede the movement of the biowheel.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #16 
Jynx

I have the eclipse 3 and the betta bulbs- i got a pack of three and one was a dud but the other two have been great and refuse to die- they are very hardy and thrive in gravel- i did get some nutrient tabs for them just to make sure- they look like this-
http://yfrog.com/0mscaryspot1j
i was paranoid about fungus for a while but i just scraped off the fuzzy patch that was freaking me out and haven't seen a hint of it since
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #17 
unlimitedx

Here are pics of my betta!!

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/fish1o.jpg/

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5849/fish2g.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9792/fish3a.jpg

The camera has problem focusing :(

1fish2fish thanks for the image!! that's a great setup!

Last edited by unlimitedx; 02-04-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #18 
1fish2fish

Try the flower setting for your camera. He is a beautiful mustard gas CT though even with the fuzzy pics :)
Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #19 
unlimitedx

I was really set on getting a half moon, but this crowntail really caught my eye! plus they are my alma mater's colors :)

The local pet shop really seems to take good care of the bettas. I saw quite a few bettas with bubblenests in their jars. The ones at the local pet shop seem so much better than the ones at petsmart and petco--those seem very sad :(
Old 02-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #20 
unlimitedx

The betta is quite the inquisitive fish! I love to watch it swim around and explore the tank. It has the interesting habit of wrapping it's body and fins around the filter input :D

plus, my betta is building a bubble nest!! i saw it in action :)