Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #1 
Tragedy

Betta N00b! Warning!

Hi there! -wavewave-

I'm here because I have a Betta fish. I really wasn't expecting to have one today, in fact I wasn't intending on having a Betta at college at all!

Well I just wanted to make sure everything is okay first of all xD;

My tank:

5 gallon fish tank w/ light & hood
25 Watt Heater
Top-of-water Filter (gentle flow)
Black/Blue gravel with pink/red pieces of gravel mixed in
Bright red plastic plant
2x Bright green plastic plants

Water:

Current temp is 74F
All water readings are within normal range (pH is 8, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, hardness: soft)

I know it's not warm enough yet, he's not in the tank yet he is still in the bag he came in.

Supplies I have:

Betta Basics water conditioner (already used)
Pellet Betta food with color-enhancer
Pro Balance Freeze Dried Blood Worms
BettaFix (I think he has Fin Rot)

I only had the filter and tank already, as well as the rocks and plants because I previously had guppies in the tank but I took them home for Christmas break and they passed away there. (I took the heater and air pump I had home with me as well, and left them there) I just went out and spent 40 bucks on supplies for a fish I didn't expect to have, lol. I only have 5 bucks on my bank account until next week, ahh O_O

I know I still need to get:

Hiding place
Brine shrimp?

And he needs a name! XD

I'll post pictures of him once the water is warmer and I put him in the tank :) There isn't enough water in the bag for me to get pictures of him, he's all curled up :/
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #2 
truthequalslies

well the temp should be 78-80 degrees be careful with the plastic plants they can rip his fins youll need that heater but if you keep your room fairly warm he'll be fine till you get your heater back and as for the fin rot a picture would be needed to really tell but sounds like you have mostly everything you need
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #3 
Tragedy

Oh no I went out and bought a new heater, hah! So I DO have a heater right now :) I'm just waiting for it to finish heating up the water (it's a 25 watt so not very strong, at least that's what my dad said)

I actually keep my room cold, hah.

I'll post a picture as soon as I can to see what you guys think about the fin rot ^^;

And I didn't know the plants could rip his fins! Do you know if there is any live plant that can live in a 5 gallon without taking over? I know Java Moss can but I don't know if Java Moss is ok for Bettas? And it needs near constant preening since it takes over filters!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #4 
veganchick

Bamboo is a great live plant! Whatever you do, take out the fake ones immediatl as your fish can get stuck in them and die... Get some very supple silk plants, or some live ones... most will be fine!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #5 
Tragedy

I took them out when I read they can hurt him.

So the silk ones would be okay? I really don't want a live plant unless it is low-maintenance, lol.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #6 
truthequalslies

you can buy bettabulbs from petco their very hardy they run @ about $3.50 and theirs a thread on other plants you can use
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #7 
TigerLily

Not all plastic plants are bad. What you want to look for in a good plastic plant is a soft plastic with smooth edges, free of jagged points or tips. You can test it by running it along some panty hose. If it snags, then it's too rough! Plastic plants are just a matter of being careful, although silk, fabric, and of course live, plants are superior.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Don't use bettafix.. its bad! It will give your fish ammonia burns. If he has fin rot (its probably actually tail biting or damage) try aquarium salt and high temps first then go to medicines. but not bettafix.

Silk plants are ok but if you do live java moss, java fern, and anubias work great. If you get bettabulbs make sure you sprout them in a different bowl and don't bury them bc they'll rot.. IMO their not worth the money bc half of them wont even sprout.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #9 
Tragedy

Oh ok :S I haven't used it yet but if it's bad then I won't. I don't have any salt (it's at my house for my guppies...)

I'm not 100% sure if it's fin rot as none of my fish have ever had fin rot before. It's just like his fins are curled up. But it might also be because the bowl was so small. I'll put him in the tank and see (the tank is 76 now, almost ready to go!)
Old 01-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #10 
Jupiter

Lol, no need to scare him/her.

Welcome to the forums! For the most part, everything seems good.

Not all plastic plants are bad! Take a pair of pantyhose and run the over the plants you have. if they rip or snag, then chances are they will tear your bettas fins. Otherwise, they're okay to use! I have a few plastic plants and haven't had trouble with them. Most of my plants are silk, though.

Bettafix you'll get mixed reviews on. I used some when I first started my sorority with no problems, but I stopped using it because it gets expensive ($4 for each bottle, and the bottle is quite tiny). I use aquarium salt now, and it's great. I recommend it.

You don't really need brine shrimp if you already have blood worms. If you don't already know, blood worms and brine shrimp should only be give nas treats once or twice a week. It gives them a little variety, but you don't really NEED brine shrimp if you already have blood worms. Though I would get him a hiding spot, like you said.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote