Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #11 
nochoramet

I think everyone has everything covered, and I'm impressed how well you prepared for your new little buddy! Welcome to the forum! Can't wait to see pictures!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #12 
Tragedy

If I can find someone in the dorms with panty hose (I'm sure I can xD) then I will test the plants =)

Yea BettaFix was expensive but we have a great fish store here that had it super cheap, but they don't really have the 'name brand' stuff I'm used to seeing. The guy told me that the BettaFix was what I needed, though (the guy who owns the store) because I was holding a bottle of Penicilin or something, I'm not sure. He was like "no it's bad for Bettas!"

Well I know that sometimes Betta's get bored with their food, that's why I got the Blood Worms and was thinking of getting the Brine Shrimp too, lol.

Do you think a Coca-Cola cup that you can get from McDonalds would be an ok hiding cave for now?
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #13 
TigerLily

You could always go to Lowe's or Wal Mart sometime and get a small inexpensive clay pot. Be sure to avoid the ones that might be painted. You can also use aquarium-safe glue to plug the small hole that many of those have on the bottom, to prevent him from hurting himself by trying to squeeze through.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #14 
Jupiter

Yeah, clay pots are really cute in tanks, and cheap!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #15 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Lol, no need to scare him/her.

Welcome to the forums! For the most part, everything seems good.

Not all plastic plants are bad! Take a pair of pantyhose and run the over the plants you have. if they rip or snag, then chances are they will tear your bettas fins. Otherwise, they're okay to use! I have a few plastic plants and haven't had trouble with them. Most of my plants are silk, though.

Bettafix you'll get mixed reviews on. I used some when I first started my sorority with no problems, but I stopped using it because it gets expensive ($4 for each bottle, and the bottle is quite tiny). I use aquarium salt now, and it's great. I recommend it.

You don't really need brine shrimp if you already have blood worms. If you don't already know, blood worms and brine shrimp should only be give nas treats once or twice a week. It gives them a little variety, but you don't really NEED brine shrimp if you already have blood worms. Though I would get him a hiding spot, like you said.
Yes, but its not just are the plants unable to scratch yout betta, it is alos weather or not he can get caught in them.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #16 
Jupiter

Most plants have a 'rock' type base that you bury under gravel, so it seems pretty improbably for a betta to get stuck under that.

If you have the type that have a gap between the roots, and you're worries about your betta getting wedged in there, you could always seal it with aquarium safe silicone/glue. :)
Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #17 
Tragedy

Aah!! He just got caught in the filter suction!! I turned it off (The water is at 78 now so I put him in the tank). Can I put anything on the suction to make it not suck him up? Panty hose maybe? Oh no I'm so worried now!!! :(((

Well here are 2 pictures I just took of him (so hard to get pics of fish!)

I'll see if I can get a ride to Wal Mart, I was going to get a clay pot anyway lol
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #18 
Jupiter

Yep, pantyhose to cover the intake tube is a good idea.

Very pretty! I like his shade of blue.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #19 
TigerLily

Panty hose would work. Personally I use small spare sponges with a hole cut in the top. I just slide the sponge on and slide it off for easy cleaning.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's very pretty!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote