Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #1 
veganchick

Exclamation DON'T overdue it!

Most people on this forum are very caring people, and want only the best for their fish, but too often they are killed with love. If a fish has minor fin rot, many treat with extensive care, only to be nice to the fish, but overmedication is one of the leading causes of dropsy and other liver diseases in bettas. Bye all means, help a fish out if he or she is in need or sick, but really a bit of aquarium salt and some clean water is a pretty good cure all (not in all cases, but in many)... Keep medication to the minimum possible, but do use it when needed! Just wanted to mention this as many betta keepers overmedicate and end up with a dead fish...
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #2 
SecondmateFlint

Oh my gosh. I think I did what you said. I think my betta has fin rot because all of his fins look like they're fraying and splitting so I added 40 drops of medication (five gallon tank, eight drops per gallon) and a couple more today...and salt. I overdid it didn't I? Should I replace the water immediately?
SecondmateFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #3 
TigerLily

Thanks for the post, Veganchick. This is a pitfall that a lot of people unknowingly stumble into. It's a good reminder for all of us.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #4 
Noko

I only medicate for the time people who are knowledgeable recommend. I try not to listen to the back of medicine bottles. I also wait untill I am certain of something. I am sure I have overdone it before though. Probably cause more harm than good...
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good reminder, Veganchick. Really, clean water is the best medicine but there are times when we need to medicate. We need to be sure of what the fish has so we don't give the wrong meds and we need to be sure we don't overmedicate.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #6 
Jupiter

And if you need to use meds, be sure to read the directions in the back! I agree with Veganchick, using too much medication, much like humans, can be bad for your fish!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #7 
truthequalslies

this should be made a sticky
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #8 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondmateFlint View Post
Oh my gosh. I think I did what you said. I think my betta has fin rot because all of his fins look like they're fraying and splitting so I added 40 drops of medication (five gallon tank, eight drops per gallon) and a couple more today...and salt. I overdid it didn't I? Should I replace the water immediately?
I would if I were you... Maybe don't replace all the water, about 50% is good. Than just keep the water clean after that, and add a pinch of aquarium salt if needed. Fin rot is very treatable with just clean water and time!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #9 
doggyhog

Yep.

I use meds as a LAST resort only. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #10 
louu

Timely reminder

maybe this warning should be intergrated into the betta care sheet? but it might already be there oops! Thanks!
louu is offline   Reply With Quote