Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #1 
SecondmateFlint

First betta having problems!

I know I've been posting a lot lately but I'm just really worried about my betta. Before he was in a one gal tank with an under gravel filter and I noticed his fins started to look funny. I switched him on Sunday to a five gal tank and saw how bad his fins were. They were frayed and splitting and the two front fins had white tips. I got him some aquarium salt and medication so I put in 40 drops (eight drops/gallon, five gallons) but after reading some posts I think I overmedicated him. Should I change his water?

He seems happy and he's eating but his fins are getting worse. What should I do?
SecondmateFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:21 AM   #2 
truthequalslies

white tipped front fins are normal and natural,,,i would change his water and only add aquarium salt to heal his fins for 5 gal tank it calls for 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt make sure you dissolve the salt before adding it,,,do you have any plastic plants or sharp or rough decorations? because they could have frayed his fins
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #3 
SecondmateFlint

I will clean out most of his water tomorrow. I don't have a pitcher so I will have to figure something out. I'm just worried it's fin rot. He had the fraying fins before I switched him to the bigger tank. I have a plastic plant but the top was out of the water and he liked to sit in there.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #4 
truthequalslies

fin rot looks like this

truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #5 
SecondmateFlint

I'm not sure if it looks like that. They look shredded and torn. I guess what got me worried was that first it was his caudal(?) fin then next time I looked ALL of his fins were like that. He has plastic plants but I might switch to a leafy plant.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

White or clear tipped fins also means that the fin is growing and it'll eventually get the color back. I would get a silk plant and a safe hiding place for him. Petco and Petsmart have good decor hiding places IMO or you can make your own. I would get rid of all the medication and get aquarium salt and start giving him salt baths. That will heal his fins right up. I always start with aquarium salt first and only use medication when necessary because some bettas are very sensitive to medications and it could make them worse.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #7 
SecondmateFlint

I will clean out his tank and water today and get him something soft tomorrow. How do I give him salt baths? I added the aquarium salt to his tank but with the new clean water I will add some more. Thank you all so much for the help. I hope his fins stop tearing and he gets all better! He could be tailbiting for all I know.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #8 
vaygirl

Get yourself a couple of spring water jugs, empty them and use them for changes. I keep them in a bucket in my kitchen and use them for only water changes. It's so much easier then a pitcher.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #9 
SecondmateFlint

That's a really good idea! I just used my old one gallon tank and replaced 2 1/2 gallons with clean water. I think that might have to do for now (living in a really small dorm). Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions. I hope a half water change (didn't want to stress him out TOO much) is good and next week I will do another. Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hope he recovers ok. And I love his name - awesome!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote