Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 AM   #1 
Crowntail Fan

Question Question!

Hey guys,
I just got a Betta fish, for the first time, and I am trying to give it the best care possible, and I have a few quick questions...

I only have one, Amadeus, a red and blue little beauty

He is in a 2L tank (which I think is about 1 gallon?) and it seems really small... I know that it has to be shallow for them to be able to breath, but I thought maybe he could get a bigger one? I longer one or something? I want to get him a real plant or two, but I also know that they need to be able to come up for air... which is why I bigger tank would be good.

My next question is, can I get him a snail to eat the yucky stuff, or will Amadeus just eat it?

If someone can help me that would be really good!
Crowntail Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #2 
truthequalslies

A bigger tank will be fine keep his tank in a range between 78-80 degrees and you can add a snail the betta won't eat the yuky stuff try to change atleast 50% of his tank water atleast once a week you can purchase betta bulbs I heard they grow to be great plants for your tank ,,,also what are you planning on feeding him?
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:16 AM   #3 
Crowntail Fan

They are little pellets just called Betta Food, they came with him. By Penn-Plax.

Thanks for the other help too, by the way! :) I will buy those betta bulbs and let you know how it all goes!
Crowntail Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 AM   #4 
DefyingGravity

Hey! Do you guys have Cheap as Chips on the Central Coast? We have them here in Adelaide, and I've never been to the Central Coast myself. For $40 they have an approx 25L tank that comes with a fake plant, and a filter. It (the filter) does need buffering, but it's a great tank, and I use it for nearly all my fish. They also have $1.50 silk plants which is a bargain!

2L is less than 1 gal. 1 gal is about 3.78L.

I use VitaPet betta foods (K-Mart stocks it, and it's fairly cheap). My boys and girls love it, and I've never had problem with feeding them flakes either.

If you find Betta Bulbs, let me know where you did, I'm interested in seeing some myself.
DefyingGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #5 
truthequalslies

Well I'm pretty sure if you don't have a petco or petsmart you could prolly find beta bulbs on ebay you can buy lots of live plants on ebay some real pretty ones too
Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #6 
DefyingGravity

^ I'm just wondering if they are even avaliable in Australia. I've never seen any on my ebay searches, and I can't see us being able to import it from America... but I might be wrong.

Edit: eBay Australia doesn't have Betta Bulbs.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #7 
truthequalslies

Well I kno petco.com ships but idk if they will to australia
Old 01-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #8 
DefyingGravity

Yeah I don't think they will, and even if they did, shipping costs would be HORRID! Lol
Old 01-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #9 
Owlets

DefyingGravity - I think I know the ones you're talking about! I think I have the smaller version, the 13 litre one or something. Although, I got mine from Browse in and Save so its probably different. I do enjoy this current trend of cheap shops stocking fishy supplies, ha. I'll have to check out the cheap as chips one!
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #10 
DefyingGravity

Ohhhh I might go check out Browse in and Save. Just found out there is one in Modbury, so not too far from me :) I think the brand is petpal or something along those lines.