Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #1 
louu

Question Divider questions

ok so my back story is that ages ago i bought a huge 3ft (150L) tank for $150 with gravel, hood, stand and light for about what you pay for a done up 25L tank (just wanted to gloat) AND I have little priscilla with me looking bored in his/her 2 gallon tank (he has had no choice with his difficult circumstances) but we have found a water sourse that he can tolerate and doesnt cost us $$$ SO I wanted to put him in this huge tank with and eventually get another betta or two with dividers but not until i move.

so my questions are!

If i put him in his new tank should i put a divider in there and halve it until he gets used to the wide open spaces?lol

will a divider allow me to use one filter and one heater or do i need more - i saw a setup that had section the back 5 inches off and used that to filter and heat

I have looked on my australian sites and they all divide their tanks with glass using a sump (i think) to get the water around and filter it is there any merit to this method - also because of this i will have to rely on homemade dividers which i have researched and feel comfortable with

and lastly are there any precautions that i will need to take (water levels, jumping ability, stress of seeing eachother)

THANK YOU SO MUCH

sorry its sooo long (do i do any other kind?) and feel free to only answer a question here or there if you can i just dont want dead or stressed fish on my hands and want everything sorted out before i take the leap
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:42 AM   #2 
MollyJean

Wait, I'm confused.. you want to keep 2 betta in a 150L (40 gallon) tank until you move and then get more, right?

Wait.

I wouldn't even bother setting up a tank that big for 2 fish. Wait til you move and then do the work and research and alterations to do the whole thing properly for more then just 2 little fish. Maybe a sorority in half the tank, and divide the other half up for 3 male betta and some corys or ghost shrimp? I think that might be a very nice looking tank.

It's going to take quite a while to seed a tank that large, it's going to need a lot of filtration and heating, and a LOT of water. It just seems a waste to do so much work for such a big tank for 2 fish, and then have to take the whole thing down when you move.

How long until you move? Is it going to be a few months or years down the road?
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:14 AM   #3 
louu

oh sorry to be confusing this whole speaking thing isnt really my niche

yeah we are talking a few months till i move out

i think im being a bit optimistic about how long it takes to cycle a tank of that size?

let me explain my fish situation better (hopefully) i have only one fish! but i should be getting another one in a couple of weeks i only have a 1.5 gallon (recalculated) tank and about a half gallon bowl cup thing. and he needs out i would rather not buy more tanks (my motivation for setting up the big tank)but i suppose i will need them as hospital tanks if i get more fish

I plan to have four males OR two males and a sorority atleast

i would still like to know about dividers for future reference i.e do i need to take any precautions, what are things to look out for and will the dividers affect the filters etc
Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #4 
DefyingGravity

I have a 2 (maybe 3) foot tank for two of my males. I like them having LOTS of space.

I made my dividers myself. I got those plastic binders from Coles (with the clear cover and a hard edge. There is just the back cover and a clear front cover, and you slide in your paperwork..) for about $3.00 each, and then at Spotlight I got plastic needle point sheets ($3.49) each, and cut it to size and put it in the tank. I used the gravel & sand to hold it in place. This way the water flows through constantly, so I only have one heater and one filter in it.

Mine in the big tank don't have issues with seeing each other, and neither do my other lots, but two of them have issues, and flare regularly at each other.
DefyingGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #5 
louu

oh yeah i can see it in your avatar, i was hoping i could pick something up in spotlight but i just didnt know what! ok needle point sheets...

alright thats good to know one heater and one filter and i suppose if i have any problems i can make other arrangements

thanks heaps defying gravity and everyone else
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #6 
DefyingGravity

That's the one I made for my big tank. I had to sew to pieces together with fishing wire so it would be tall enough, but it's still very sturdy, and haven't had any issues except for when I first put it in, because I had no idea what I was doing ;)
Old 01-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #7 
MollyJean

Looks like a great divider, and should work fine for the big 150L tank.

It's going to take a long time to cycle something that big, and then when you move, you'll have to take it down, and set it up again, and cycle it again, so I think your betta will be happy in his 1.5 gallon tank for a while til you move. Just don't over croud it with too much junk so he has some room to move around.

It could take as much as 2 months to cycle a tank that large, by the way.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #8 
louu

ahk that helps a lot Defying Gravity! I now know what to look out for...

aghh! TWO MONTHS! I was thinking three weeks! gosh *reality check* well then there is definately no point in setting it up before I move...

I actually picked up what i thought was about a 2.5g tank cheaply from petbarn (had everything except a light) for 25 bucks and it turned out to be a 5g (thought the box was a bit big) as long as it holds water i think it was worth it so he can stay in there until everything is set up in my new home which could be up to four or five months if things dont go to plan!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #9 
MollyJean

A 5 gallon for 25 bucks? Now THAT is a bargain I would have loved to catch! That right there is big enough for 2 fish and has enough room for decorations and can be easily heated and cleaned. The big tank is well and good when you're set up in the new house and have a few months to work on it, but that 5 gallon tank is ideal for practice if you want to work on your divider.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #10 
DefyingGravity

Pfft, I paid $40 for a 6gal at Cheaps as Chips :( Wish we had Petbarn in Adelaide!

Tags
dividers