Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #1 
Marce033

hi I'm new

Hi! My name is Marcela and I'm from Costa Rica. I'm 18 and I was planning on owning a betta fish. I already own a female maltese dog and a male hedgehog who all live in my bedroom. I love animals and can't get enough of them so I was thinking that a betta fish would be an easy pet to take care of and also a beautiful one.
But fist I want to know the basics of taking care of one so that I would be prepared to own one. So that's why I would like you help me out with.
Thanks! I could use all the advice!
Marce033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. We usually recommend a 2.5 gallon or larger tank for bettas. The tank doesn't HAVE to have a filter but they help to keep the water extra clean. They don't necessarily need a heater if they are kept in a warm room. You can put silk or real plants in the tank and some kind of decoration or something they can hide or sleep in. As far as food goes, bettas like a variety of food. Pellets should be their main diet and you can also feed them freeze dried or frozen daphnia, bloodworms or brine shrimp. These foods should be fed as a once or twice a week treat. I hope I've covered what you want to know.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #3 
andreig09

i thinl that te best way to learn more about bettas is to read the other posts, i learn a lot reading the questions of other people!
andreig09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi Marce033 and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of info here on caring for your betta fish. I would read over the Betta Care thread so you can have a happy healthy fishy.

On a diff. note, I visited Costa Rica about 4 years ago. It is the most amazing and beautiful country that i've been to.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #5 
Jupiter

Welcome to the forum! I think Dramaqueen covered everything nicely. I also recommend looking through the Betta care sheet. Good luck!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #6 
TigerLily

Welcome welcome! Drama gave you some good starting tips. You'll find even more great information around these forums to keep your fish happy and healthy. Don't be shy about posting questions, the advice here is both friendly and knowledgeable.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol! I forgot to mention the betta faq care sheet sticky.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #8 
Marce033

Ok thanks a lot!!! I hope to become a good owner of a betta fish!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #9 
Marce033

This sucks! I just realized that the tank I already own is just 1.5 gallons.. That would be too small right?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #10 
veganchick

No, it could work really well if you do water changes often enough (100% 2-3 times a week) I would reccomend a female betta just because they tend to be smaller in size and would not mind a smaller tank as much. Just keep up VERY often water changes, and change the decor around every once and awhile and you should have a healthy, happy fish!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote