Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #1 
vaygirl

So Kilo has Ich

I'm totally new to sick fish. She only has one small dot on her dorsal that looks like a grain of salt or sugar. I was going to add salt to her tank (1 tbsp per 5 gallons?) and crank the temp up. She's at 82 now. Can I get her up to 84 safely? For now that's all I think I want to do. I don't want to over-med her or stress her out even more. Does this sound okay to you guys? I'm worried. I have zero experience with sick fishies. :(
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think she'll be fine at 84.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #3 
veganchick

84 is good if she is already used to 82. Keep her water crystal clean, and add a pinch of aquarium salt. See where it goes from there and keep us updated! good luck!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #4 
vaygirl

This morning the white spot is almost gone and all that's left is a little pinhole in his (yeah, he's a he now. :D) dorsal fin. I guess it's in the 'we're in your aquarium' phase. I'll keep you updated. I did the 1 tbsp per 5 gallons thing with aquarium salt.

The only other question I have is, if I do his 20% water change today, do I add the amount of salt appropriate to 1 and a half gallons into the new water? 3/4 of a teaspoon? Or do I not add anymore salt?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #5 
vaygirl

He's still doing fine. No white spots at all. The pinhole is almost gone. I changed his water this morning and added only enough salt for what I took out. I'm going to phase the salt out next week. He's living in tea water now because of his driftwood. It's like his own spa. :D

Tango got half a dose of bettafix in HIS tank because his tail is ripped again. I'm starting to think he's a biter. I only did half a dose because I've read about some bettas having trouble with tea tree oil and I wanted to be conservative. It already looks better then it did yesterday.

Whiskey is fine! Well, I DID realize that I had his filter cartridge in backwards. Whoops! No wonder the flow was so low. So if anyone is looking to lessen the flow of a Hex, just reverse the cartridge. :)
Old 01-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #6 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

Awesome! You sound like you are becoming a pro at solving problems, and it is obvious you spend a lot of time caring for your fish. That means more than anything.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #7 
vaygirl

Thanks Elizabeth! One last update. Kilo is still fine. No more ich spots. So salt and heat knocked it right out of him and I needed no meds!

Everyone got their water changes today and they're doing good. Tango's tail is almost grown in. Again. :/