Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #1 
kaylaamary

Unhappy Possible internal parasites?!

Hii! I just got my betta (Mac) on sunday March 1 for my birthday. Everything has been going fine and he's been eating well. His poop was normal until yesterday I noticed a white stringy thing attached to him. Yesterday it fell off and today its been on him for about an hour or more and I'm a little concerned that it's internal parasites. I've been feeding him freeze dried blood worms because he doesn't like the pellets or flakes and I plan on doing 60% water changes at least once a week. I cleaned his tank today and everything was fine. I don't have any money until tuesday to buy medicine, will he last that long? :( And what medicine should I get? Is there any "home remedies" to help him until I get the proper stuff?
Attached Images

kaylaamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #2 
sainthogan

He could have had the parasites before you got him, or he could have gotten them from the bloodworms. Freeze dried blood worms are not very good for Betta fish because the freeze drying process takes out most of the nutrients, and you end up with basically candy for fish. If he won't eat the other things, you're going to have to fast him until he will. Don't worry, Betta fish can go many, many weeks without food. I would fast him for a few days, and see if the stringiness goes away (it could be he's not digesting the bloodworms properly). You can use epsom salts to see if that will draw the parasite out, if it's a parasite, until you get medicine.
But please stop feeding him the freeze-dried bloodworms as his primary food, he will be much healthier and live longer in the long run. Once he is hungry enough, he will eat the pellets.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #3 
kaylaamary

Okay! Thank you! Ive been getting so many mixed information from googling that I thought those blood worms were better for him. Thank you, and now that I think of it the problem only popped up once I started feeding him those.
kaylaamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #4 
Bailmint

If he does have internal parasites, seachem metronidazole works on it. My Igneel had internal parasites when I got him from Petsmart, and I treated him with that for about 2 [maybe 3] weeks and he's perfectly healthy now. [Besides the fin biting Cx]
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #5 
Sally M

I had a big problem a couple weeks ago after feeding frozen bloodworms. They love them but at least two of my girls were dangerously bloated and constipated, with the white stringy stuff hanging on. Being a very curious person , I got a hold of one of those strings to look at under the microscope. Then I took a bloodworm form the freezer. An exact match minus the blood in the still frozen one. Looked like a sausage casing. I won't be feeding those again.

Sally
Sally M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, parasites, sick