Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #1 
Meg215

Hi! I'm new =)

Hey everyone! I'm a brand new, reluctant betta owner. I'm a single mom of a 2 yr old and the last thing I wanted was a fish. My grandma however decided, with out asking me,that it was time my daughter had a pet. She brought over this betta she bought at craft warehouse. I was appalled!! Not only for the fact that I didnt want a fish but for the fact that they sell them at a freakin craft store. :/ Anyways, this poor guy is in a tiny cup that is super dirty and she hands me a flimsy plastic bowl and says here the lady says they live in dirty puddles so you can just stick him in here and here some food. =( Depsite all my yelling at her I still couldnt say no. I'm a huge animal lover and hate to see things suffering in porr conditions.

So before knowing anything about betta's(I was on my way to work when my grandma brought him over) I called my mom and asked her to ask someone at the petstore what she needed for him. She came home with a .5 gallon bowl, plant and some rocks. He seemed really happy to be in clean water and in a home bigger then a kids cup! I named him Walter and began searching online for how to take care of him. This all happened last Thursday and I found this website! Thank goodness! I've been reading all week!

I'm pretty poor right now but managed to get him a 2.5 g tank yesterday and put him in it today. Now he's swimming really frantically all around and I'm just worried that in my rush to get him a bigger home that he needs I may have made a mistake by moving him too early. :/ Also I have pellets, dried blood worms and frozen brine shrimp, thats all good rght? I know I need a heater but I seriously have no money for a little bit so do you think it'll be alright if I wait a little while. I've been turning the heat on throughout the day in my apt and at night I wrap his tank in a sweatshirt and scarf. (I know I'm lame. =S )

Alright sorry for a huge post I just want to give him a good life. :/
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #2 
D4de

I can't help very much because I'm still new to this myself but it sounds like your doing alright for your little friend. The heater isn't a must have right away, he'll be fine for now, and he food you've chosen are good choices, the blood worms and brine shrimp are treats for once or twice a week though, but do you have any plants or hiding spots for him, I'm sure he would be happy with a hiding spot to get away and calm down in:) sorry if I haven't been much help, I tried!
D4de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #3 
veganchick

If you are on a budget, mugs and plastic cups make get betta hiding spots. I wouldn't reccomend any plastic plants, just silk if you get any, buy you don't NEED plants, just a little cave(or mug or cup or whatever you want to use) will do for now. Its awesome that you are doing so much to help the little guy!Floating Ping pong balls are a great source of entertainment for bettas, and anything flat that floats will encourage bubblenesting. It sounds like you are doing a great job! Good luck, and don't worry about the heater if you can't afford one. He should be ok for now. You could always put a light over his tank or put a heating pad on the back because those help alot! Make sure that you dechlorinate the water before adding your betta!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #4 
TigerLily

If you choose to use a heating pad or a light to keep him warm, be sure you have a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature (aim for high 70's to low 80's). Otherwise, everything will be okay. Don't worry about wrapping the tank to insulate it, I've done that before when our heat was out, so you're not alone there!

Welcome to the forum, your little fish is lucky to have ended up with someone who cares!
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. He may just be adjusting to his new home. He's very lucky to have someone who cares enough to try and find out how to take care of him properly. Your grandma meant well but she should have asked you first because you are the one who has to take care of it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #6 
kuklachica

The only thing I would add is don't forget water conditioner (I doubt you did since you've been reading this forum so much!!). You can also use plastic storage containers as tanks as well (to find out the gallons multiply l x w x h and go to an online volume calculator and convert cubic inches to liquid gallons). Good luck and you're doing a wonderful job!!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

They touched on everything. I just wanted to say welcome to the forum! You'll be surprised, bettas have great personalities. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #8 
Meg215

My grandma doesnt ever think things through and does whatever she wants even if she knows it will upset us. (She's always been like this. lol )
Thanks everyone for the info and advice! You all are so sweet and nice. =) Yes I have the conditioner for the water. About the plants, I read about the silk ones and because I had a plastic one I went to both petco and petssmart to look for the silk kind. Unfortunately their selection was really slim and the ones they did have, were still sharp on the underlying plastic & in the middle, more sharp then the plastic one I had. *sigh* So I have two plastics but I spent a lot of time running my fingers over it to make sure all was good and he couldnt get stuck or hurt. :/ It seems both my stores dont have a large selection of plants or cave like objects. Every single object was super sharp! *sigh*

Walter is a lot calmer now. Thank goodness!
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #9 
MollyJean

Well you can always look at silk plants in craft stores. I'm useing a bunch from a silk arrangement that I butchered cause I LOVED the leaves, and they work great! Just make sure you don't get the kind with perfume already on them, and when you get them home, wash them very good with hot water.

In fact, wash everything with hot water, never use cleaners on anything that your fish might come in contact with.

Planting pots, cups, just about anything laying around can make a great cave for a betta. Just make sure he can fit inside without catching his fins on anything and has the room to turn all the way around.

Oh! And don't forget you have to change his water! I suggest a full change once a week, with 50% changes between. I know you have a kid, so it might be hard to keep them up, but do your best!

Ack, one more thing. A thermometer. You can get a little floaty one for less then 2 bucks at Walmart. In fact, I would suggest shopping there for plants and caves when you decide to splurge. You'll save a lot of money.

Anyway, welcome to Betta HEAVEN and congrats on your second child! I got mine much the same way you did.. my mother in law thought he would make an awesome Christmas present.. yep, great idea, right? But he's doing great now, and I love him to death. But I have 31 other animals (just got a puppy, too) so it wasn't quite as bad.. lol.

I'm sure you'll grow to love him. They really are awesome pets. I would have to say my betta, Lunch, was easier to train then the puppy! They're super smart and very entertaining.

Good luck, and happy to have you here!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 AM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi Meg215,

Welcome to the forum. You and Walter will be great friends in no time :)

Thanks for taking good care of him :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote