Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #1 
LaVieEnRose

Question Something wrong with my fish?

I got a new betta a few days ago for my boyfriend, but he doesn't have a tank to keep it in so he lives at my house until he can get one. He shares a tank with my old betta, who is very happy and healthy in this tank and doesn't mind sharing (separated, of course), but the new one just kinda hangs around at the bottom of the tank. He swims occasionally, but he doesn't eat and likes to wedge himself in small places. My friend told me that living with another fish could possibly be stressing him out, so I put my old one in a different tank and let the new one get used to it for awhile. He swam around for a little bit but now he sits at the bottom again. Is there something wrong, or is he just weird? I've never had a betta fish act like this before.
LaVieEnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #2 
Noko

He still might be a little stressed from when you got him. How big is the tank he is in now, and what is the temperature.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #3 
LaVieEnRose

Its about 5 gallons, and I have no idea what the temp is. I assume it's warm enough, because my other betta does just fine in it :\

I hope nothings wrong with him. He's such a cute fish, it would really suck if he was sick or something :c

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-27-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #4 
Jupiter

I'd get a thermometer and check the tank temp. Bettas need at least 75 degrees.
But it could be that he's still stressed. Does he have a plant/hiding spot?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #5 
LaVieEnRose

There are a few plants shells he could hide in/under. Its really strange, he likes to wedge himself into the corners, shells, and plants (they're plastic)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Bettas will find weird places to sleep. I would get silk plants, plastic plants tend to rip their fins. Are they real shells from the ocean? I've heard that they let out bad toxins that can hurt fish.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote