Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #1 
LaVieEnRose

Betta fish online?

Anyone ever buy a fish online? They're all so pretty over at aquabid, so I'm thinking of getting one for a friend as a birthday gift, but it seems kinda sketchy.
LaVieEnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #2 
Tragedy

Many people get fish off of Aquabid everyday, however- I will never, ever condone giving a living, breathing animal as a present to someone. It is not only a horrible idea, it's just.. well.. a horrible idea lol. Now that being said, I did ask my friend for a hamster for Christmas a year ago, but that was different. She knew I anally take care of my hamsters, and would never stop taking care of it.

Anyway, I'd personally only buy from aquabid in bulk, since I've heard lots of stories about DOA's.
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 AM   #3 
truthequalslies

those kinds of gifts are the best gifts but only if the person receiving it likes pets i've never ordered online but a few ppl on here have
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 AM   #4 
MollyJean

I got mine as a gift I didn't want or expect.. and while I love him now.. I really would much rather have gotten him myself, or had warning.

If you're going to get someone a betta as a gift, you need to make sure they know they're getting it before hand. Maybe give her a "coupon" for a betta of her choosing from the local pet shop that you can both go out and get.. along with the proper home, food, heating and decorations.

And dumping a betta without the proper equipment to care for it on someone who doesn't expect it is like dropping your kid on a friend without giving them any toys, food or information and expecting them to go out and buy it all themselves. Kinda rude, huh?

Sorry if I sound preachy.

Anyway, if she's ready for one and you've warned her, then Aquabid seems ok, but a local pet shop would be better.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a neighbor who got one from someone at work for her birthday a few years ago. . She didn't want him (she acted like she did in the beginning), she didn't want to learn how to take care of him properly, she said she didn't want to fool with him and he wasn't made of gold and could easily be replaced. I ended up taking him, thank goodness! I think a betta as a gift is a nice idea, only if the person getting it really wants one and is willing to take care of it and LEARN to take care of it properly.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #6 
LaVieEnRose

Said friend is an animal fanatic. She has 3 mice and 13 hermit crabs and loves fish. I really doubt she would be mad about me getting her a fish. Sine her last one died awhile ago, shes been looking a new one and I've found one in her favorite colors on that site, but I'm still not sure about getting it online.
LaVieEnRose is offline   Reply With Quote