Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #11 
Tragedy

I finished buying everything for Bleud's tank :) Well, I still want to get some silk plants- but that comes next weekend. I also bought some of that yarn stuff that people use to split tanks.

Next weekend I'm going to buy a 10 gallon (the price went up 2 bucks!!), a filter, rocks, more plants, heater, and 2 more jars for hiding places. Once I set up the tank and get some of that start right stuff (so I don't have to cycle it as long) I'll wait and then get 2 more bettas :)) I want a crown tail this time. I might even get 1 male and 2 females!

Will 2 females be ok in a 5 gallon? since I want to split the tank.

For the record, I will definitely not breed them, lol. I couldn't have over 100 baby bettas in my dorm room! omg!!
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

Two females in a 5 gallon tank will not work. One will dominate the other and bully it to death. Females need to be kept in groups of 4 or more in a heavily planted 10 gallon or larger tank with lots of hiding places.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #13 
veganchick

sounds awesome! But females, if kept together, need to be in a 10+g tank with groups of 5 or more because they are still very aggressive. So you could do a male and a female, 2 males, 2 females, or you could split the tank in three (3.33333333 g per fish) and get three bettas, OR you could do a sorrority which is a group of girls (atleast 5) living together in a 10g. They must all be very docile though.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #14 
Tragedy

Ooh, I could have swore I read someone say that putting just two females together was okay. Well then I won't be doing that one! haha.

I might still get a girl though :)

And vegan I'll only split it two ways, I personally wouldn't keep a Betta in anything under 5 gallons. I might change that opinion later on but right now it keeps me from going crazy and getting a billion of them XD!!
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #15 
veganchick

lol, I keep all my betttas that are actually mine in 10+ gallon tanks, but some of the rescues up for adoption have 1g and half gallon jars. I feel bad, but its only temporary (most stay for less than a week once put up for adoption) and atleast they have clean water!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Petstore employees will tell people that it is ok to house two females in a 1 gallon bowl or they'll tell people that its ok for a male and female to live together. Both are big no-no's.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote