Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #11 
kelly528

Grr... some people! I would write them a flaming review on Google maps. Their store policies are far below the standard of many pet stores I frequent.

I would try looking for a 5g on craigslist... people who jump into fishkeeping without researching and fail horribly are forever putting nearly-new-everything-included tanks up on craigslist for prices often as low as $20! Prowl CL for a week or two and I will guarantee you a steal on a tank. Plus, christmas was last month! Think of all the goldfish bellying-up in teeny 5g tanks!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #12 
vaygirl

Don't feel stupid. These people are supposed to know what they're talking about. The rice paddy thing is a myth. They can jump (like masters) into another puddle if they need to. And that's only at dry times. The rest of the time the water level may be low but it goes on for miles, so while it's low height-wise, the length of their habitat is huge. It's not anything like a small bowl or cube.

If you can't get something bigger, then changing the water that often is the way to go. If you're really wanting a bigger kit, Walmart has 5 gallon kits with everything included for 29 bucks. You can ship site to store and pick it up and it won't cost you anything. They even had a deal with a heater last time I checked. I think it was 37. Or like Kelly said, cruise Craigslist. You might find something.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #13 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

Mel,
I worked in retail sales for 15 years, and you can trust me when I say, "No Refunds" does not mean that at all.

Write a letter, or copy and paste these posts, and send it to the store manager.

Tell them that you are not going to be shopping there, or sending them any business if they can not rectify this mistake.

On such a small purchase I would be willing to bet they happily upgrade you to a bigger tank, after all they will be getting more money.

Good Luck.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #14 
Melscorp

I really appreciate all the advice. I am seriously thinking about getting a bigger tank. What is the craiglist? I am sorry to appear dumb, but I am new to Canada (Moved here from England in September 2009) so am now fidning my feet. One thing I have noticed about over here is the great distance between things. I am up at York University at the moment, so am not central to much or am I?
Melscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #15 
wallywestisthebest333

I think I love you BettaFishBob! <3 Can I apply that knowledge to all purchases? Not just petstore purchases?
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #16 
TigerLily

In the states, Craigslist is a website, sort of like online classifieds for selling things people have and want to get rid of. Now, my boyfirend lives in Canada too, and up there Kijiji (which is the same type of site) seems to be way more popular and get more use.

Think of it as an online yard sale you can search.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #17 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melscorp View Post
I really appreciate all the advice. I am seriously thinking about getting a bigger tank. What is the craiglist? I am sorry to appear dumb, but I am new to Canada (Moved here from England in September 2009) so am now fidning my feet. One thing I have noticed about over here is the great distance between things. I am up at York University at the moment, so am not central to much or am I?
Craigslist is an online classifieds site. The great thing about being in Toronto is that there are so many options! I saw an ad on Craigslist a few months ago where someone in Toronto was giving away a 100 gal tank for free! Just an example of what you can find.

Here is the link, if you're curious:
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #18 
louu

Dont feel so bad its the pet shop peoples JOB to sell that stuff to you its how they make a LIVING and they have gotten very good at it. Not to mention the fact that they are in a position that suggests they know best about the pets they are selling.

and that bowl will be ok for now as long as you keep up with water changes and accumilate? (always thought it was called aclimatize) properly it will be a bit stressful but for now its your only option.

someone else can either verify or correct me but on other sites i have heard of plastic tubs/containers being used as temporary homes you can chuck a heater in there and then save up your cash for a proper home just make sure your heater is the right one for the future tank.

just dont go beyond your means with a tank you cant mantain...

P.S hows the new fishy going?
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #19 
louu

just realized theres a second page sorry if my post has been covered
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #20 
MollyJean

And there are always thrift stores! I find myself looking in thrift stores for fish supplies all the time now, and have so many silk plants and "cave" items now I could decorate 3 tanks.. Just not sure if I want to get more fish with the new puppy in the house :(

I'm sure you'll find something larger, it doesn't HAVE to be a "fish" tank, just capable of holding water and easily covered (and clean!)
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote