Hello all! I really need some advice/help. My little Betta, Harriet, is sick. I was so worried last night, that I sat up with her until 4am. I was sure she was dying. (even cried a little
) She was still with me today, but something is wrong...
I must let you all know, that this is my first Betta (my first fish ever) and I have no idea what some of these questions mean, but I will do my best.
1. What is the size of your tank?
About 1 1/2 - 2 gallons
2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
year and a half
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
Female Betta. No other fish or live objects in the tank. She is quite small. She is about a Year and a Half old. We got her in Sept 09, and she was a baby.
6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
(I didn't know I was supposed to)
10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
No. We put her tank on the counter (bar part) of our kitchen because she LOVES to watch and interact with us.
12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
I changed it today, thinking that was the problem. I changed almost all of it (about 75%).
13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
She eats Betta food (4 pellets twice a day) and we give her a few Blood Worms before we go to bed.
14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
She went from being a VERY happy little fish, swimming everywhere and blowing her bubbles....to laying on the bottom of her tank, and showing no interest in us or food at all. Her color is great, and her fins are still perfect. She has no obvious signs of physical problems.
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
I changed her water.
I took this picture of Harriet last night. She was "laying" on her "coral". That is where she stayed all night.