Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #1 
TigerLily

Fishkeeper's cats

So, there I was..laying in bed in the middle of the night, when something wakes me up. There's this soft, gurgling noise somewhere in my room.
Glub, glub, glub.

"That's a nice noise," I thought, "but what is it..water? WATER?!"

That was about the point where I stumbled out of bed only to find that my kitten had tipped over the bucket of water I had sitting out for my next water changes. The carpet was absolutely soaked! This isn't her first time making a mess with my aquarium water either. She's also the same cat who decided to jump into a full five gallon tank and splash water all over the place (luckily there were no fish in it at the time).

Boy, does she get into everything.

I know a lot of you also have cats. Do they ever get too involved in your hobby like this?
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #2 
vaygirl

I don't have a water story but I do have an aquarium story involving my cat Aggie. My husband and I went to an employee party for his work and they sent home coffee mugs full of candy with mylar balloons tied to the handle. I put the mug on my nightstand and he and I went to bed. At about 2 am I hear this god-awful banging noise and I sit up in bed just in time to see Aggie disappear around the corner of the hall with the balloon string wrapped around her leg. The mug was bouncing off either wall and the balloons were trailing behind the whole mess like a banner of stupidity. I jumped up (laughing of course) and ran after her when I heard the sound of glass cracking. She had jumped over the coffee table and the mug swung up and around in an arc, hitting the front of my 20 gallon aquarium that housed my hermit crabs and spider-webbing it. I remember thinking, thank GOD she didn't hit my guppy tank. I still laugh thinking about it. That cat was afraid of balloons for the rest of her doofy life. They really do get into EVERYTHING.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #3 
Jupiter

My cat never really cared about my fish, but he loves eating their food! There have been a few instances where he's come into my room while I was sleeping, and knocked the can over so he could eat the flakes.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #4 
llonka

bahahahaha!! your cat stories crack me up!! my little kitty likes to drink the water out of my guppy tank. she even sits on the hood and she'll hide behind the tank. one time she was back there and knocked the filter off. that sure was a mess to clean up!
One my betta tank there is a little hole and she'll put her paw in it to try and catch my poor betta!! she gets in trouble though. :)
llonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hahaa! Funny story, Vaygirl! My cat I had years ago jumped up on the stove one time when one of the burners was on. Needless to say she never did it again. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #6 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

I have an 8 year old Tortoiseshell, Shorty McGee, who opens our cabinets, crawls in them and goes to sleep. They operate on self-closing springs and have no handles, so she just pulls them open with her paw, sidles in and crashes out. In the middle of the night you can hear cabinet doors opening and closing until she finds whatever it is she is looking for. I had to move my large mixing bowl off of the floor levl in one cabinet after I opened it to find her sleeping in the bowl! Cats are something else.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cats are so funny! They sure do have a lot of personality.lol
Old 01-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #8 
LisaC144

Oh boy, my cat does the same thing. She has tipped more buckets over than I can even count. So much so that I went out and bought a wet/dry vac. She's so quick about it. The second I put the bucket down she puts her paws on it to drink the water out of the bucket. Mind you, EVERY morning I give her fresh cold Brita water out of the fridge. What more she want?

Now my male cat loves laying on things (jackets, blankets, etc.) Every single day I come home my dresser draws are open with clothing all over the floor. I usually find him in one of the drawers sound asleep. He climbs in, kicks some clothes out so there's room for him, then lays down and somehow closes the drawer so it's nice and dark. I kick him out, but it still makes me laugh every time.

Boy, these cats are SPOILED!
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #9 
vaygirl

That's so strange, my Torti does the cabinet thing too only she can't get them all the way open, so they just go... bang bang.. bang bang bang...BANG BANG!

I have also found her in my armoire (which she CAN and WILL open) all snuggy in my sweaters, sleeping. Brat!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mine used to jump into the tub or the kitchen sink. For some reason, cats don't like drinking from their water bowl. It has to be out of the sink, tub, bucket, aquarium etc. lol