Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #11 
SoulSong

Today is The Day - I hope!

I dumped the water Thurs, replaced the gravel (including the 'ammonia-absorbing stuff') with glass marbles, & put in fresh tap water at the right temp with just the conditioner - not the 'Cycle', as recommended by folks here.

The water temp has been stable for 36 hours, the nitrate, nitrite, ph, ammonia & hardness are in the right range. So wish me luck! I'm going betta-hunting this afternoon. It's freezing in this part of the country, so I've got an insulated lunchbag with a clean plastic insert plenty big enough to hold one of those little cups the bettas are sold in. I figure that should keep my new friend protected from the cold to & from the car.

I planned to dump 50% of the water in the cup & replace it with water from the tank, let him sit that way for an hour, repeat, then put him in the tank. Will that be enough time to acclimate him? Should I do it differently?

As you see, I really want this to work!

Last edited by SoulSong; 01-30-2010 at 10:47 AM.
SoulSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #12 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Kudos to you for wanting to care for your fish properly. So many people buy bettas and have no idea how to really care for them until they have problems and illness. No fault of their own, they usually get bad advice from the pet stores.

What I usually do is just float the cup on top of the tank water for 1/2 hr or so. That way the cup water will be the same temp. as the tank. I never ever add the cup water to the tank water (personal choice) just in case there's poop or bacteria in the store water. Then I net the fish and put it into the tank.

But if you can get the petstore to change the water in the cup after you purchase him and you don't have a bunch of poop in it when you get home, I would put it right into the tank after the temp. comes up.

Good luck with your new betta buddy. Post a picture when you can.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #13 
doggyhog

Can't wait to see your new buddy!!

Here's what I do:

Float the cup for a while, turn off all the lights to keep the little guy calm, and then get a cup or syringe and replace a little bit of his cup water with the tank water. Keep doing this 'til his cup is almost full of his tank water. This way, there is absolutely no chance of shock. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #14 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Can't wait to see your new buddy!!

Here's what I do:

Float the cup for a while, turn off all the lights to keep the little guy calm, and then get a cup or syringe and replace a little bit of his cup water with the tank water. Keep doing this 'til his cup is almost full of his tank water. This way, there is absolutely no chance of shock. :)
thats what i do! :)
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #15 
SoulSong

Sounds like good advice - thank you! Heading out in about 1/2 hour to see if I can find the right little guy!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #16 
Tragedy

Good luck! Can't wait to see your new buddy :)
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #17 
veganchick

yaaaay! :)
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #18 
SoulSong

Meet my new friend!!

It took me about half an hour looking at all the fish to find this one, but when I saw him it was "love at first sight"! I'm attaching 2 pictures so you can see how his color seems to change depending on lighting. I'm ridiculously excited (can you tell? LOL) - just as much as when we brought our little rescue dog home on New Year's Day 2 years ago.

He's gorgeous, and VERY lively at the moment. He clearly wants to get out of the cup and explore his new home. But I'm not going to rush it. I want to be sure the water is the right temp & nearly all aquarium water before I release him.

to all of you for your encouragement. Now I just need to find the right name!
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's very pretty! The second pic makes him look more green than blue.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #20 
SoulSong

He was in that blue water they use in so many pet stores for bettas and now I have the lights down so as to keep him calm during the transfer, so I won't really know his true color until tomorrow. But I DO know he's beautiful - and still clearly demanding that I release him into his new home! LOL