Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #1 
JaspersANGEL

Swim bladder help!!

So I was crazy busy yesterday and kinda neglected my fish so when I was able to finally do their water change it was a bit late and probably my fish Jasper was sleeping (he goes to bed a bit earlier these days: my baby's getting older )

So he maybe got startled by the syphon and I noticed from that scare that he got another mild case of swim bladder. (But the demented fish as he is kept on swimming like nothing was wrong and he even tried to flare at his adoptive brother then went right back to bed in his rock, although he was floating to the top of his cave) he pulled through the night!*YaY*

So my quick question is: if I could do something to help him with all the bloating...
this morning I'm looking into buying some Daphnia (since I read it acts as a laxative) but I don't really want to order online (petsmart or any other pet store don't cary it)
Is their another way I can help him...
I'm fasting him now but he still needs to go to the washroom!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #2 
JamieTron

Some people say feeding them a pea can help too, but not too sure how good it works for bettas. Other people on the forum have experience with feeding their fish a pea, I read it is for treating SBD in goldfish, I haven't tried it myself. I had a fish with SBD I was told to fast him for a few days, and it worked without daphina perhaps yours may too.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

Yeah I read that about the pea, but I also read it's bad for them, so I don't know..

And yea I'm in the process of fasting him, I usually fast them for three day's after I feed them brine shrimp (but Jasper is special and tends to get bloated so ya).

But I want him too poo, just to help with some of that bloating...
Or is there nothing I can do for him...

Tomorrow I'll go try and order some Daphnia from a fish shop that does orders here, but I was just thinking if there was something I could do today...

Thankx for ur help guys!!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #4 
JamieTron

I was the same way, but I was told it would take a few days at least, but my guy was better after fasting for only one. I guess it just all depends on how bad the compaction is and the location in the digestive track I suppose.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #5 
ClassicCharm

The pea works, but fast him for a few days first. This worked on my male vt last week.
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some people use peas if they can't find daphnia. I think it can be used as a last resort but shouldn't be used regularly.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote