Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #21 
Sabina88

I was wondering, is it not that uncommon for a dragon scale to end up with scaling on there eyes?
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina88 View Post
I was wondering, is it not that uncommon for a dragon scale to end up with scaling on there eyes?
Definitely not uncommon but it's all with genetics. I've had multiple dragon scales and none of them have or had gotten scaling over their eyes. Sometimes you can look for a DS that has very clean eyes like that Red Dragon I posted on the first page, he has very clean eyes, no scaling has yet to creep into his eyes whereas on this boy, he's already scaled over however there has been some debate on him since some believe he's fully blind while others (I) believe he's only partially blind since he seems to react to the fish on the sides of him in the video.
Name:  FD02B_zps7567df2c.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  79.8 KB
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1395057705

The reason I say he's not fully blind yet other than him reacting to the other fish is that you can still see his pupil, amphirion correct me if I'm wrong, but generally when scaling goes over the eye it is opaque rather than transparent as his is. You can see Opaque scaling in the first post.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #23 
Sabina88

I remember seeing him when I was on aquabid a few days ago, poor guy at least it seems he can see if only a little
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #24 
beautiful Betta

I don't think he can actually see, but I think he maybe able to see shadows like if you were to hold a very thin piece of white paper up in front of your eyes, you might be able to make out shapes of dark objects but not really be able to actually see them.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #25 
kevonnn

Very informative! But as far as the scaled eyes, I'm still not 100% on my future choice. Both eyes are mirrored.

original image
http://www.aquabid.com/uploads/fwbettashm1394459404.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by kevonnn; 03-10-2014 at 01:03 AM.
kevonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:00 AM   #26 
peachii

I have 3 dragon scale boys, one from the local LFS, one from Petco (Princess George) and one was a present from a friend. All 3 have scales growing over their eyes to some extent, all 3 did not have scales near the eyes at all when they were purchased but the scales continued spreading and growing as they got older and all 3 will eventually be completely blind. Not a very good track record with dragonscales so I won't have any more dragonscale bettas.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #27 
Polkadot

That's awful that it goes on their eyes,the poor little things.I saw one at Petbarn once,he was a dark blue & white dragon scale half moon and his eyes were all white,but he seemed very aware of me.He was absolutely beautiful.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevonnn View Post
Very informative! But as far as the scaled eyes, I'm still not 100% on my future choice. Both eyes are mirrored.

original image
http://www.aquabid.com/uploads/fwbettashm1394459404.jpg
That boy is clear so far. What you are seeing in his eyes are just is regular pigment like our irises, they also have colored eyes and sometimes it's more than others. I've seen Bettas with totally black eyes and others with heterochromia eyes as well. He's good so far but just be prepared for later in his life if you do buy him, he may become blind or partially blind.

As I was saying with Dragons, it all depends on their genetics for how fast their scales will grow and if they will get it over their eyes. Partial Dragons are much less likely to have scaling grow over their eyes since they don't have that much Dragon scaling in the first place and likewise with fully scaled Dragons, they definitely have more of a chance for becoming blind. Some of it is luck of the draw while others you can tell, obviously that AB boy I posted is or will become fully blind very shortly but the boy you posted kevonn, may not become blind for quite a while *shrug* it's all genetics and good guesses.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #29 
kevonnn

Thanks lilnaugrim,
I guess we shall see. I asked the seller if he has had any history with the scale over, as well as age, and parent pics if possible. I have been going back and forth with him until I asked that last set of questions. I already have a name for him...if I get him. :D
kevonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevonnn View Post
Thanks lilnaugrim,
I guess we shall see. I asked the seller if he has had any history with the scale over, as well as age, and parent pics if possible. I have been going back and forth with him until I asked that last set of questions. I already have a name for him...if I get him. :D
That's good! Yeah, let us know about his parents if the seller responds to that and hopefully get pictures from him too, that would be helpful. He's a beautiful boy for sure! Good luck with him if you get him!!