Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #1 
Bennysmommy

Need advice

I've had my Crowntail Betta for almost a year now and just recently he started acting weird. About three days ago after my dad cleaned his tank he stopped eating and was really lethargic. All he does now is lay at the bottom of his tank. Today I noticed that his belly is starting to bloat, but he hasn't been eating so I know its not from overfeeding him. Could he just be getting old or is he sick???? I'm really worried about him :(
Bennysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #2 
TigerLily

To get an idea of what's wrong, more information would help.

How big is the tank/bowl he's kept in?
Is it heated or filtered?
How often do you clean it?
How much and what type of food do you give him?
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #3 
Bennysmommy

He is in a 2 and a half gallon tank, it's filtered, the temperature is just right. It's cleaned every week and a half and I fed him about 5 pellets twice a day when he was eating. Top Fin I believe.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #4 
TigerLily

Wow, five pellets twice a day is actually quite a lot. I believe that most people here will recommend two or three pellets twice a day instead of five. I usually give mine two.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #5 
Bennysmommy

I thought so too so last week I cut it back to 3 or 4, but this week he hasn't ate anything.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #6 
bettatoon

hello, i need some help, i have my blue Crowntail Betta in a 2 and 1/2 gallon tank, plastic plants, temperature is 79, small filter, so my PROBLEM IS that his top fin is turning WHITE and i can noticed some small white dots on his head, (like wen bleach touch ur color clothe) so what can be and what can i do? thanks.

Last edited by bettatoon; 01-29-2010 at 08:44 PM.
bettatoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #7 
bettamama

Yes, that is ALOT to feed him and he could be constipated. Try and see if he poops if possible. What temperature is "just right"? Hope 78 degrees or more, as that is what a Betta needs to thrive.
bettamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #8 
bettamama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettatoon View Post
hello, i need some help, i have my blue Crowntail Betta in a 2 and 1/2 gallon tank, plastic plants, temperature is 79, small filter, so my PROBLEM IS that his top fin is turning WHITE and i can noticed some small white dots on his head, (like wen bleach touch ur color clothe) so what can be and what can i do? thanks.
A picture would be very helpful. The dots sound like ich, which is a parasite. There are 3 stages to ich and there isn't much you can do until the 3rd stage, but just to be safe, I would slowly bump the temp. up to 84 for the time being and leave it that way for a week or so. Some salt wouldn't hurt, but if in fact it is ich, you would have to get the proper medicine to treat it. I got something called "Ick Away". Can't tell you if it works, as I had just gotten him and he died the next day from it. :( Anyways, 84 degrees helps speed the stages of ich up and will help them drop off your betta, which is what needs to happen. It could be something else though, thus being why pictures would help. Goodluck!
bettamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #9 
bettatoon

oh, ok hello again so hire is a picture of my little body.
Name:  beta fish 003.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  14.1 KB
Old 01-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #10 
bettatoon

not a good picture but you can see the white stuff that is on his top fin and that woorry's me.