Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #1 
KathyR

Having Betta Fish in my Pet Turtle Tank.. Get Eaten or Safe?

I have a 4 inch red eared slider turtle and he never eats live fish but instead pellets. Do you think I could safely keep betta fish in the tank with him and have it so they don't become food for the turtle?

He has literally never tasted "live feeder fish"
KathyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #2 
JDragon

I would not suggest it. The turtle could easily do a lot of damage with one bite or nibble. I wouldn't do it personally. Seems too risky. Plus every turtle tank i've seen is rather dirty from their feces... maybe a case to case thing, but may increase the amount of water changes needed. Other than that, you would have to make sure the tank was suitable for both..
JDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #3 
Kali

Yeah I'd be worried, even if he didn't want to eat your betta he still might nip, and one nip could do quite a bit of damage.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #4 
KathyR

Even if the turtle has NEVER even tasted live feeders??
Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #5 
16kehresmann

@Kathy
My friend tried keeping her turtle in with her betta (her turtle had also never tasted live fish, only veggies and pellets. It resulted in her betta being eaten, and he just looked stressed and unhappy during his short lived life., plus I'm not sure what degree you heat your turtles water to but my friends water temp was WAAY too cold for a betta..I wouldn't suggest doing it.
16kehresmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #6 
sbinf

The betta would definitely become turtle food. No matter what you choose to feed your turtle now, it has millions of years of evolution which tell it that a fish is food. There is nothing that will change that.
sbinf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #7 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
DO NOT DO!!!! I had a turtle, red eared slider, when I was younger and I also had a fish tank, with this one fish that looked like a quarter sized Gil from Finding Nemo. There was lots of hiding spots, including this large square rock that the fish could hide behind. My turtle was scared to death of the fish (well this fish had killed the rest of its tank mates but still). The fish got used to owning the tank and then one day the turtle just snapped him up with no warning. My turtle had never had anything but pellets.
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:35 AM   #8 
Kali

The other thing is that even if the turtle isn't hungry, or trying to eat, it might still nip as a territory thing, or a hey what's that bright coloured thing moving around? I'll investigate...with my mouth.
I think that, plus the temperature and cleaning issues make this an all around bad idea.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:37 AM   #9 
AmbiantNight

Please don't do this. Even if properly fed it's in the turtle's instincts to eat small moving fish. They will even take a nip out of fish that would normally be to big for them.
AmbiantNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #10 
KathyR

Alright Alright.. You guys are right. It does seem that even though my turtle has not been fed feeder fish in his entire life.. turtles do love to eat fish no matter what and it's pure instinct. Found a thread of this nightmare happening. http://turtletanksetup.com/best-turt...sh-or-pellets/ I really wanted to see a beautiful betta fish in with my turtle tank though. It kind of sucks that the turtle just can't respect the fact of beauty and leave it alone.

I wonder if there is aquarium fish that the turtle wouldn't be able to catch because of speed... maybe like smaller tetras.