Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #1 
Skyker

Unhappy Fin Rot?

Hey guys. I am... well currently very worried about my fish, Spock. I got him from the pet store four days ago now. When I first put him in the bowl he happily explored. I kind of felt horrible because my room gets super cold at night so the first night was rough for him as well as the second day, where I bought him a heater and the temperature fluctuated quite a bit. I finally got it stabilized, but today and yesterday night he's not looking to great.

I use a water stabilizer as well as letting it age. (TetraAqua Aquasafe)

What is the size of your tank?
1 1/2 gallon or so?

What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
I don't have a test kit.

Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
Fresh

How long the aquarium has been set up?
Four days

What temperature is the tank water currently?
79 (26 celcius)

Are there live plants in the aquarium?
No

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

No filter, but daily small water changes and spot cleans with turkey baster.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
Nope

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
I have a light, but it's been overcast these past few days. Light goes off at night.

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
100% change today, everything rinsed with hot water, no soap.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

Tetra bettamin, I feed him a bit in the mornings. He ate fine the first two days. Hasn't eaten today or yesterday.

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
The second day, which was very stressful for him (new heater and all), he slept on his fake plant most of the day, the following day he was much more lively but still spent some time sleeping on the plant and floating at the surface. Yesterday he did a lot of floating near the surface. Today he floats near the surface, but a little sideways and every so often starts sinking. Once he hits bottom, he swims back up slowly.

The ends of his fins are blackened and I saw some reddish streaks in their middles. Also, I thought I saw some reddishness on his side, but it may have been the light.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
No. I just changed the water.

Photos:

BEFORE

AFTER
This ones neat 'cause he caught me taking pictures of him so he swam down from the surface.

Sorry for the poor picture, I had to take them with my camera phone 'cause I have no other.

EDIT: He's laying at the bottom now. Somewhat on his side.

Last edited by Skyker; 01-29-2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: new info
Skyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #2 
xgoingdownx

While I've only had my betta for about a month, it does look like he's got fin rot. Mine was starting to look like that and I went out and bought some Jungle Fungus clear and his fins and tail are starting to grow back. They come in large tablets that are to be given for 1 tablet per 10 gallons, so obviously try to divide up the tablet as best as possible.
Sorry I can't be of more help, but hopefully he'll get better soon!
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #3 
Skyker

MYGOSH! I don't know what happened. I had to go away for a couple days and a fully expected Spock to be belly-up by the time I got back, considering that he was deteriorating by the hour/day. But I come back and wow. He's swimming around, he actually ate some, he's brighter and I can tell what type of tail he has for the first time. A crowntail! *happy/proud tears* On another form we guessed fin rot or septicemia. But, wow. We thought it was dire. I guess all Spock really needed was some R&R and not some overbearing human fussing over him. That and constant temperatures.

I mean, I didn't even do anything besides an 100% water change. No aquarium salt or meds. No food because he wouldn't eat and I was away, and no light, It was dark in my room except for sunlight.

I'm so proud of my little guy. So very proud. I'm going to get him some diff food tomorrow and have an 5 gallon lined up for him ^-^

EDIT: upon further inspection, his butt seems to sink a little when he's still, but beyond that, swimmy and happy. I'll keep a close eye on him and change his water before I go back to school.

Last edited by Skyker; 01-31-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #4 
Skyker

this is him now :D
Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #5 
xgoingdownx

Glad to hear it wasn't fin rot! He looks very pretty and happy :)
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote